500 gallon trailer build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bruster

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
1EEA5B0F-4857-446C-A180-F466810FFAC9.jpeg
Well the time has come where ive out grown my 160 gallon RF!Picked this tank up last week,got it home and emptied 4 bottles of dawn and fill it up.Plan on draining friday,running my car exhaust into the tank and will start to cut a door out!

Heres a pic of Gertie

Be careful of car exhaust... It could contain some explosive gasses.. you could suck out the tank with a shop vac or blow it out in reverse flow...
Nice smoker....

There really isnt a safe way to cut these things is there lol

I hate to fill it back up with water, make my cut, then have all that nasty smelling water in the yard!! Ahhh

Some guys fill them with water, start it draining and cut as the water level drops, chasing it to the bottom...

Yeah ive had it filled for about a 1.5 weeks..its on my good trailer and i dont want that water/smelly mercaptan on the trailer lol

Sorry..got busy at work and didnt get a chance to talk about the new build!

Its going to be a 500 gallon RF on a 24ft trailer.Need to get the cooker done and knock a few cooks out then ill move my attention to the trailer.My plan is to reinforce the trailer and build an enclosure with steel and old barn tin.Eventually working to get my mobile food license.

I made a cut on the new tank today and didnt blow up so i plan on marking out my doors,cutting them and then starting a fire for a burn out.Itll then get moved into the garage to build

Got the doors laid out for the most part..right now they are 34x23.5 which i may take that to 34x24.Tried finding hinge material today but no luck so i may just end up ordering the 4.75 bullets and calling it a day
855D00BC-E434-4463-B383-55078691413A.jpeg

Weld the bullet hinges to tabs... then weld the tabs to the CC... Bullet hinges can screw up a door fit....

Door Ribs 2.jpg

Welding on the door seals...

DOOR SEAL WELDING 1.jpg

Last edited:
Never thought about that..so basically use the bullets..weld one end to the tank then make a tab off the other end of the hinge and weld to the flat stock

Its alright..i ended up finding some 3/4 tube and 5/8s rod

Got the hinges wrapped up and cut the doors out.I also did the first burn out
2EA929F9-8D84-4EA1-8321-921AF10BD3B4.jpeg
FEECAA14-7EEE-4086-BFE6-33C64AD287C1.jpeg

60948EAD-27F0-4B0B-9436-889E3474E17F.jpeg

79D8E2C8-8065-4C60-9D45-FE3B98417155.jpeg
Well decieded to build an offset instead of the RF. 1/4” plate right now is stupid exspensive and the offset look is really growing on me.So i guess ill end my smoker building where it all began lol

Reactions: doug kiser
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky