5 year old smoked cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
I have a large batch of four and five year old cheese that I had smoked. I cut into one this am for a little breakfast snack, very, very tasty!
IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

I'm getting ready to smoke cheese for the first time today or this weekend, depending on if I can get our soon enough to get some pellets for my new AMNPS.

How did you store that for so long?

Thanks.

I'm getting ready to smoke cheese for the first time today or this weekend, depending on if I can get our soon enough to get some pellets for my new AMNPS.

How did you store that for so long?

Thanks.
I was doing up to 20 pounds at a time so it's easy to stash some away. Good luck with you cheese adventure!

Thanks fivetricks & pit of despair! I have a vacuum sealer so I can get them well sealed. I have 3 refrigerators (4 if you count my kegerator) so I should be able to find some room to stash some chunks away for a while! LOL

Reactions: crazymoon
Well that settles the question on how long will vac packed cheese last in the fridge. Actually I think the smoking process extends the shelf life, because my neighbor moved back up North & said come & take what you want from my fridge. Well, it was full of cheese that was a couple of years past it's use by date. I took it & it had a lot of greasy residue all over it, but I washed it off dried it & smoked it & it tastes like any other smoked cheese I have smoked. But I bet if it was smoked first it wouldn't have had that residue on it. I may just take a block & put it in the back of the fridge & see how long it will stay good. I bet it will outlive me!!
Al

Well that settles the question on how long will vac packed cheese last in the fridge. Actually I think the smoking process extends the shelf life, because my neighbor moved back up North & said come & take what you want from my fridge. Well, it was full of cheese that was a couple of years past it's use by date. I took it & it had a lot of greasy residue all over it, but I washed it off dried it & smoked it & it tastes like any other smoked cheese I have smoked. But I bet if it was smoked first it wouldn't have had that residue on it. I may just take a block & put it in the back of the fridge & see how long it will stay good. I bet it will outlive me!!
Al
I have that residue on my 5 y old smoked cheese too. While it might not look like fresh cheese it tastes awesome.

WOW. 5 and 10 years!

Jack is my favorite but never aged it just my cheddars... That's gonna change! THANKS FOR THE IDEA.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky