5 shoulders in the old mes 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drtheo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
Minnesota
So I started 5 shoulders today at noon averaging 12 lbs each, I have a different rub on each. I am 12 hours in an I am at an internal temp of 155.

For some reason the fat caps are not melting off all that well at this point. I am running at around 235 smoker temp.

At this point I am hoping the will develop a nice bark by morning.

Reactions: kruizer
You might be a bit over the capacity limit for one of those, like double. Most of the little electric cabinet smokers have a limit as to how much meat can be smoked in them at a give time, usually in the 25-35 pound range. You may want to check that out. RAY

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Wow. That's a lot for the MES lol. Best advice I could give you is crank it up to 275. If be tempted to squeeze as many as I could into your oven at 300 or so degrees at this point. This would speed things along and help out your MES to get the other ones done asap

I ran 2 8lbrs in my MES 30 and took 25hrs @ 275F. I read someone did 4 and was stalling around 48hrs. Sure, more power in the 40 but they both are not really designed for big jobs. There's some fine print in the manual about larger amounts of food taking longer times... As was said, crank it for sure, many of us run 275F on everything. Rooting for ya!

run the temp up and have a good beer supply lol after 4-6 hours in the smoker throwing wood to it remove and put in the oven if your on a time table, it will be a lot better keeping the temps up. if you can put some cooling racks under the meat to keep it out of the juices you will like the end product better imo. A 5 prong drill operated shredder is recommended also.

Reactions: forktender
They've taken all the smoke that they will at this point it is senseless to keep all of them in the smoker.
I'd personally crank up the oven to 300* to render down some of that fat and finish them off with in reasonable time. I'd also crank up the smoker to 300* at least 275* if it won't get up to 300*.
I smoke my butts at 285*+ and they are as moist as any that I have smoked at 225.

But more than anything I'd be worried about how long it took to get them up to temp past the danger zone.
Someone here/ chef jimmyj chef jimmyj , daveomak daveomak that knows the numbers for the danger zone will chime in I'm sure.
Jimmy and Dave, are very knowledgeable in this department, I'd listen too what they have to say about your meat temps and smoke time.

Best of luck to you, I hope it all works out for you...That's a lot of meat for that smoker. ( I like it!!!)

Post up some pictures please.
Dan

Last edited:
run the temp up and have a good beer supply lol after 4-6 hours in the smoker throwing wood to it remove and put in the oven if your on a time table, it will be a lot better keeping the temps up. if you can put some cooling racks under the meat to keep it out of the juices you will like the end product better imo. A 5 prong drill operated shredder is recommended also.
I had to google the meat shredder..........I have to get one now, heck smoking meat and power tools, it don't get any better than that.:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_sunglasses:

1588331988109.png

Good call.
Dan

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Well it stalled out at 155 last night but it was pretty chilly. Also my controller crapped out and will no longer change settings, and would not turn on after in plugging and plugging back in. However I had a spare one for some reason and changed it out. So the smoker is back up and running at 275 now.

So 3 went in the oven this morning at 300. Yo try and help speed things along.

Here is the requested picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_065130834.jpg
    IMG_20200501_065130834.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 21
I would take two shoulders and put those in the oven, and crank the MES up to max to finish the other three.
Good luck .

Well it stalled out at 155 last night but it was pretty chilly. Also my controller crapped out and will no longer change settings, and would not turn on after in plugging and plugging back in. However I had a spare one for some reason and changed it out. So the smoker is back up and running at 275 now.

So 3 went in the oven this morning at 300. Yo try and help speed things along.

Here is the requested picture.
Holy Cow that's a lot of hog meat for that smoker, they look like they are doing fine too me.
Thanks for the visual., I wish there was smell'0 vision on this forum.
Dan :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Shoulders look awesome! I have seen up to 6 in a 40" before so hopefully these things turn out awesome for you! Post some finished shots.

Well 4 of the five are up to 199 do the are resting in the oven that is now off, and I move the last one that is at 168 to the hot spot in the smoker.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Cool, you deserve a good result after staying up so long and putting in all that effort, I'm happy for you! I'll be up between 2-3 in the morning to fire up my stick burner. Got a 9.4 pound butt in the fridge already injected with apple juice and coated with Chile's basic pork rub. Hoping to eat around 5pm tomorrow but you never know, they ain't done till they are done. RAY

The 140 in 4 isn't such a big deal when dealing with fully intact muscle meats as they are.considered sterile below the surface.

This of course assumes that no injections have taken place. All bets are off at that point regarding sterility.

I did a full eight once (two shoulders per rack), IIRC it took about 26 hours. I rotated the racks several times in the process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky