5.5 Inch German Bologna (Venison) Smoked then SV with QView!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
I did it! 20 pounds of venison German Bologna in 5.5 inch fibrous casing, smoked then SV!!! Pics 1st then the write up!

jhRugXx.png

Bmz8RUO.png

hXO0bk7.png

JkVaqY6.png

RIGQ4i0.png

aXujqvU.png

Saturday I mixed and stuffed these big fattys!
  • 80% pure venison and 20% beef fat ( well 1 pound of 80/20 beef since I was a pound short and needed to get to 20 total pounds lol)
  • Stuffed in 5.5 inch fibrous casings; Big chub was like 12 pounds and small chub was 8 pounds
  • Owen's German Bologna seasoning once again confirming my measurements are way better (way less salty) than their instructions. I use 6gms of seasoning per pound, 8gms of their Maple cure per pound, added NDFM at 4.5gm per pound and 1oz water per pound so the mix slurry would be good to go. Going the SV route and not losing as much moisture I might be able to bump seasoning up to 8gms per pound for more flavor but if not SV and doing in the smoker (losing more moisture) I am sticking to 6gm of seasoning per pound
  • Smoked at 135F with 100% Maple pellets for about 4-5 hours (until pellets burned out) then put in garage fridge to SV next day
  • Sunday I put in an Sous Vide (SV) bath at 151F for 6 hours; Went of the Baldwin pasteurization chart for here https://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Beef where 25mm is an inch and I multiplied that time for 151F for 6 inches of thickness and rounded up to 60 min an inch, vs 55min, just to be sure (thanks chopsaw chopsaw for the suggestion)
  • Ice bathed for 2 hours then put back in the fridge until today (Monday)
  • Sliced and vac sealed and ate on lol

This was my 1st time really diving into SV and being very successful with it (2nd attempt ever).
Lesson Learned:
  • I used big thick turkey brining bags instead of vac sealing these guys and it worked very well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CJ9VP5H4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 paid just under $15 for 6 of them but I could wash this guy out and reuse if I want though it did get a little nasty so will likely toss it
  • To do it again I would probably use a temp lower than 151. I had some slight, slight, slight, fat melt. Nothing to affect anything with the sausage, but I would like there to be none at all... if that's even possible
  • I would stuff about 10 pounds per casing with these giant 5.5 inch casings. They can hold about 11-12 pounds but 10 pounds would be shorter in length to better hang in the smoker while still holding 20 full pounds
  • My coleman stacker SV setup performed well and was JUST big enough to hold these big suckers but I would like more room hence stuffing 10 pounds or a little less if needed
  • The Hakka 7lb stuffer is working like a champ and so much faster than my 5 pound LEM. It is really filling the gap between the 5 pound LEM and the 21 pound giant that takes 2 people to work. It was TOTALLY the right call for me to buy so I can do solo sausage stuffing in 5-30 pound lots or so
  • The 5.5 inch chubs sounded good in theory, then looked scary when stuffed, but turned out almost perfect once it was all done. The slices are a little bigger than bread size. I think 5 inch would be the sweet spot for me though i don't think I saw a 5 inch casing. And 4.5 inch would be acceptable and I have some that I need to revisit using now that I have the Hakka. My goal was to have good sandwich bread sized slices and I am there. My other goal was to have some SV success, which I did!

I don't have any eating pics, but I had some egg that needed to be eaten so I used the crumbled bits and odd end slices to make a scrambled egg hash that was turned into a sandwich and then I also ate a bologna sandwich. Used store bought Keto bread and some plain yellow mustard. Was good to go!

Finally, it feels good to get that all handled. I have a bunch of ground venison and wild hog meat that is frozen in 6-9 pound vac seal bags that needs to be turned into sausage and other things. It was nice to get this converted. I also ground up 20 pounds of pork fat I recently got and vac sealed it into 2 pound bags so I can easily do 10 pounds of sausage.

Thank you everyone who helped with insights when I asked months back for SV info on taking on such an ambition project freaking giant 5.5 inch diameter chubs! :D

Last edited:
WOW, that looks fantastic! I'm still very new at this and haven't yet even thought about stuffing casings that big. That looks great...

Carlo ,,, you nailed that !! Those slices are picture perfect . Only thing missing is the Deli case .
Nice work all around .
25mm is an inch and I multiplied that time for 151F for 6 inches of thickness and rounded up to 60 min an inch, vs 55min, just to be sure (thanks chopsaw chopsaw for the suggestion)
Appreciate the mention and happy that helped you . That suggestion was given to me from daveomak daveomak when I did some larger casings .
To do it again I would probably use a temp lower than 151. I had some slight, slight, slight, fat melt.
Don't be afraid to use that 140 water temp suggestion . I got that from Dave as well , and it works . Just takes longer .
The slices are a little bigger than bread size. I think 5 inch would be the sweet spot for me though i don't think I saw a 5 inch casing.
Sounds like you need to make the bread too . Lol

Reactions: DEERMAKER
Oh man! I hope you saved out a good bit of that for eating....I'd be snacking as I was bagging.

Jim

Next time you're at a hardware store , grab some closet pole hardware . Put that higher up in your smoker . You can see one is solid , and the other is slotted . Stick the rod in the solid side , then up and into the slotted side .
Give you some more hanging room . I got these for my SmokeFire
20240416_112810.jpg

Bologna looking awesome. I like the texture over the fine emulsion kind.

Holy cow that looks awesome!!
Thanks! It was something for sure :D

WOW, that looks fantastic! I'm still very new at this and haven't yet even thought about stuffing casings that big. That looks great...
Thanks! I've done sausage for a while (not some sausage master though) but this was only my 2nd SV attempt and was really the only way to cook these monsters. I also have 4.5 inch casings I'll play around with at some point :D
Great job Carlo! That will make a few meals.
Thanks! Oh yeah it will and I'm glad to convert all that pure ground venison into something ready to eat. I think 1 more experimental sausage batch, 1 batch to fix my jalapeno and cheese TX style sausage and then the rest of the wild game gets turned into the standard franks and brats and it's all done!
Carlo ,,, you nailed that !! Those slices are picture perfect . Only thing missing is the Deli case .
Nice work all around .

Appreciate the mention and happy that helped you . That suggestion was given to me from daveomak daveomak when I did some larger casings .

Don't be afraid to use that 140 water temp suggestion . I got that from Dave as well , and it works . Just takes longer .

Sounds like you need to make the bread too . Lol
Thanks! Yeah would have been funny to see it in a deli case :D
Then thanks to daveomak daveomak as well. Dave always has good useful info and I definitely benefited :D
Yeah I'll do the 140F next time and probably even 130F in the smoker to not tempt it either.
Here's the keto bread I've been using. It gets the job done pretty well for someone who is skipping all the carbs and doesn't have a bread option but would like one :D
NO_Life_Keto_AngleLeft_890x1000.png

Looks excellant
Thanks! It's been great so far :D

Oh man! I hope you saved out a good bit of that for eating....I'd be snacking as I was bagging.

Jim
Oh yeah. Anytime something is going to go on my slicer I make sure I can eat on it while slicing lol. This is why my bacon is smoked to 145F IT. So I can eat on it while slicing :D

Looks like you nailed it... looks beautiful!

Ryan
Thanks! It does look good all stacked in the freezer and tastes good too :D
Very nice. Bet that is good. Looks like you are stocked for a while now!!
Thanks! It sure is good and yeah I have a good stockpile but it never lasts as long as you think it does now does it hahahaha
Next time you're at a hardware store , grab some closet pole hardware . Put that higher up in your smoker . You can see one is solid , and the other is slotted . Stick the rod in the solid side , then up and into the slotted side .
Give you some more hanging room . I got these for my SmokeFire
View attachment 694597
Oh nice! This would be good to have one in the smoker for this exact type of smoke. I could remove the light fixture in the MES and install some angle aluminum but I don't want to fight with all of that plus it's well seasoned and I'd have to plug holes, etc. etc. This would be a nice simple approach for doing 1 dowel for giant sausage or long links :D

Bologna looking awesome. I like the texture over the fine emulsion kind.
Thanks! Yeah I agree. I like meatier texture versus the texture being spongy.

Man looks awesome!! One of these days I'll do something like that. I found a new keto bread at Walmart that's very good. I'll have to look up what brand it is. My two current favorites for sandwiches are in order 1) Thomas's keto bagels. Insanely good. More like an English muffin with a hole 2) Brownberry Keto Thins. Both are awesome for burgers.

I did it! 20 pounds of venison German Bologna in 5.5 inch fibrous casing, smoked then SV!!! Pics 1st then the write up!

View attachment 694558
View attachment 694559
View attachment 694560
View attachment 694561
View attachment 694562
View attachment 694563

Saturday I mixed and stuffed these big fattys!
  • 80% pure venison and 20% beef fat ( well 1 pound of 80/20 beef since I was a pound short and needed to get to 20 total pounds lol)
  • Stuffed in 5.5 inch fibrous casings; Big chub was like 12 pounds and small chub was 8 pounds
  • Owen's German Bologna seasoning once again confirming my measurements are way better (way less salty) than their instructions. I use 6gms of seasoning per pound, 8gms of their Maple cure per pound, added NDFM at 4.5gm per pound and 1oz water per pound so the mix slurry would be good to go. Going the SV route and not losing as much moisture I might be able to bump seasoning up to 8gms per pound for more flavor but if not SV and doing in the smoker (losing more moisture) I am sticking to 6gm of seasoning per pound
  • Smoked at 135F with 100% Maple pellets for about 4-5 hours (until pellets burned out) then put in garage fridge to SV next day
  • Sunday I put in an Sous Vide (SV) bath at 151F for 6 hours; Went of the Baldwin pasteurization chart for here https://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Beef where 25mm is an inch and I multiplied that time for 151F for 6 inches of thickness and rounded up to 60 min an inch, vs 55min, just to be sure (thanks chopsaw chopsaw for the suggestion)
  • Ice bathed for 2 hours then put back in the fridge until today (Monday)
  • Sliced and vac sealed and ate on lol

This was my 1st time really diving into SV and being very successful with it (2nd attempt ever).
Lesson Learned:
  • I used big thick turkey brining bags instead of vac sealing these guys and it worked very well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CJ9VP5H4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 paid just under $15 for 6 of them but I could wash this guy out and reuse if I want though it did get a little nasty so will likely toss it
  • To do it again I would probably use a temp lower than 151. I had some slight, slight, slight, fat melt. Nothing to affect anything with the sausage, but I would like there to be none at all... if that's even possible
  • I would stuff about 10 pounds per casing with these giant 5.5 inch casings. They can hold about 11-12 pounds but 10 pounds would be shorter in length to better hang in the smoker while still holding 20 full pounds
  • My coleman stacker SV setup performed well and was JUST big enough to hold these big suckers but I would like more room hence stuffing 10 pounds or a little less if needed
  • The Hakka 7lb stuffer is working like a champ and so much faster than my 5 pound LEM. It is really filling the gap between the 5 pound LEM and the 21 pound giant that takes 2 people to work. It was TOTALLY the right call for me to buy so I can do solo sausage stuffing in 5-30 pound lots or so
  • The 5.5 inch chubs sounded good in theory, then looked scary when stuffed, but turned out almost perfect once it was all done. The slices are a little bigger than bread size. I think 5 inch would be the sweet spot for me though i don't think I saw a 5 inch casing. And 4.5 inch would be acceptable and I have some that I need to revisit using now that I have the Hakka. My goal was to have good sandwich bread sized slices and I am there. My other goal was to have some SV success, which I did!

I don't have any eating pics, but I had some egg that needed to be eaten so I used the crumbled bits and odd end slices to make a scrambled egg hash that was turned into a sandwich and then I also ate a bologna sandwich. Used store bought Keto bread and some plain yellow mustard. Was good to go!

Finally, it feels good to get that all handled. I have a bunch of ground venison and wild hog meat that is frozen in 6-9 pound vac seal bags that needs to be turned into sausage and other things. It was nice to get this converted. I also ground up 20 pounds of pork fat I recently got and vac sealed it into 2 pound bags so I can easily do 10 pounds of sausage.

Thank you everyone who helped with insights when I asked months back for SV info on taking on such an ambition project freaking giant 5.5 inch diameter chubs! :
Great looking meat there! Well done

Man looks awesome!! One of these days I'll do something like that. I found a new keto bread at Walmart that's very good. I'll have to look up what brand it is. My two current favorites for sandwiches are in order 1) Thomas's keto bagels. Insanely good. More like an English muffin with a hole 2) Brownberry Keto Thins. Both are awesome for burgers.
Thanks! I haven't seen those options but I may take a look.
The other Keto bread I've tried and will get is the Orowheat brand. They have 2 versions, one with more grains that is 2gm net carb and the plain one that is 1gm net carb.

The flavor is better on the Nature's Own and it's bigger slices, but the texture is better on Orowheat.
I have an appreciation for them both so will get which ever is in stock but I think I lean towards the Nature's Own since it's a little bigger with the slices and slightly better tasting.

I buy the Mission Carb Balance tortillas and those are good to go too. The Spinach (green) one is lowest net carb like 2gm I think while the white one is next in line. I buy either of those but been getting more of the plain white because Costco sells it at twice the number of tortillas for the same or less of a price as the regular pack at the normal store lol.

As with any off the shelf store bought tortilla or wrap, you have to warm it up in a skillet (or comal) until it starts to get a little stiff or crispy (often noted by being browned a little more as well). This cooks out the styrofoam and preservative flavors from the things so they taste good instead of eating yuck flavors lol.

I have bread and tortilla options covered now!

Great looking meat there! Well done
Thanks! I'm enjoying it for sure :D

Looks great, I'd be making alot of sammiches with that. 👌
Thanks! Oh yeah plenty of sandwiches are being made!

Reactions: DEERMAKER
tallbm tallbm these are my go to tortillas now. Zero net carb large tortillas. I mostly buy the ones on the right. Last month Meijers was out of stock so I ordered a six pack straight from the factory online
Screenshot_20240417-203147~2.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky