• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

~4wk Cured Tasso Ham (butt), ~3wk cured spare ribs

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 17, 2021
Bought a real old, very much salvageable offset cheap yesterday. Once I got done burning off the cobwebs and wasp nests, figured I shouldn't let the coals go to waste..

Pretty much just Pop's brine. About 1c salt and about 1c sugar/gallon, but I used 1c of strawberry jelly instead of any sugars. Used this old jar of "Chicago Steak Seasoning" thats pretty much SPGO and Worstercheshire by my palate for both the ham and ribs.

Ribs I also had Sichuan peppercorns in the brine. I will have to revisit them today, but last night was noticeable. AFTER I forgot about it, LOL. Couldn't taste the (very) hot sauce's heat, kept adding more to a rib. Got to the next rib and all of that heat hit me.

Attachments

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Looks great. Been awhile since i have cured ribs. The ham, wow.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Nice looking process there sure could chow down on some of that. Never thought about brining ribs sounds interesting.

Warren

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like Hamdrew it is appreciated.

Thanks for the idea of brining ribs also.

Warren

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 17, 2021
Nice looking process there sure could chow down on some of that. Never thought about brining ribs sounds interesting.

Warren
I think 3 days is the sweet spot. These were cured so long that they stalled for hours. Threw em in the oven at 345* for an hour to finally finish as it was 9pm. I did have the temps too low, but I have tried both 1 and 2wk cure with the same results.

That ham stalled forever, too. It was only ~15min off the heat when I sliced it for that pic. I used a carving fork, but that knife is dull.

Thanks everyone. Tastes even better today.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Everything looks absolutely delicious!
Nicely done!!
Al

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 17, 2021
Pulled the rib meat and made some midwest-cajun cubanos tonight (and about the best mac salad ive ever had)

KIMG0662.JPG

KIMG0665.JPG
KIMG0667.JPG
KIMG0668.JPG

Thats swiss american cheese, btw (think subway's "swiss"). not very funky but it sure is melty.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Damn, everything looks great, but those sandwiches look flat out awesome.
Nice work.
Dan

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 17, 2021
greek mac salad= hidden valley spicy ranch packet, boar's head deli dressing (hoagie oil), my proprietary delicious greek dressing, sugar, roasted+peeled jalapenos, pepper, more dill, sour cream, no-salt cavender's, cayenne, minced shallots, cucumber, and a tiny bit of a ghost+scorpion+reaper+worstercheshire hot sauce i made

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.