4th of July tragedy.....well all most

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rondar

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2010
North of Deetroit
I was trying an experiment smoking chicken breasts in my MES 40.I dumped the hot ash into a lawn bag ,I noticed some embers when I dumped the tray I figured since it was mostly dirt ib the bag it'd be ok.Around an hr later when we were eating outside (luckily) my sister says is sonething burning in the garage.The bag was lit up like a torch I grabbed the bag drug out if the garage while my wife grabbed the hose and put the bag out.I almost told everyone to eat in the house because I was hot from standing over the grill,luckily I changed my mind.I certainly learned my lesson.

Been there, buddy. I know exactly what you mean when you say how lucky you feel. Considering how much I respect the power of fire, I felt SUPER stupid for making such a dumb mistake, but fortuneately there was no damage.We had a new outdoor fireplace built in early 2012. After the inaugeral fire one Saturday night that spring, I cleaned out the ashes the following sunday morning. I used a straw broom and metal dustpan. The broom did not even burn, nor did I feel any heat coming off the coals. I figured they were completely out.......so I put the coals in a brown paper bag and closed it up, and placed it next to my plastic trash can along side the house.Four hours later, the smoldering bag finally ignited and the plastic can was on fire and melting. Flames were licking the eaves of my house. Luckily my Bro and I were working on the boat in the driveway and quickly staunched the flames with the garden hose. I felt very lucky b/c we were supposed fto be on a bike ride at the time, but got delayed. Whew. Major lesson learned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky