4lb Brisket Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JMAC1604

Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
Good Afternoon, All,

This is my first brisket smoke. Using the MES 30" (Model 20071117). For Thanksgiving next week I thought I would smoke a smaller brisket in supplement to our baked Turkey to give my guests some options.

As you know, everyone has their own methods to smoking. I was thinking of running the smoker at 225-230F until IT of around 185-190. I am using oak pellets and expect around 5-6 hours.

Any recommendations to the above approach? Use juice in the drip ban? Spray the brisket often?

Thanks in advance for help and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

It sounds like you have a piece of a flat. I have tried smoking a small piece like that a few times and never had success. Tried wrapping and even injecting and it always came out dry. Maybe others here have got it right, but to me it seems a piece like that is too small to come out right.

If it's only 4 lbs (a small flat) I'd Sous Vide it. But if you're hell bent on smoking it, I hope it has a lot of "marble" in it otherwise it's going to be dry and tough. Getting a small flat like that tender is a real challenge.

Last edited:
I've found using apple cider vinegar in the water pan with the vent 1/2 way open works great. Trim the hard fat, but leave enough of a fat cap that it doesn't dry out.

Smoke it in a pan with some french onion soup, carrots, celery, garlic, & onions.
Let the brisket sit right in the juice with the veggies. When it's done strain the veggies, & de-fat the juice.
Bring it to a boil with a little red wine & use that as an Au Jus for the brisket.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky