42 day dry aged ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SKade

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 21, 2019
West Virginia
A little while ago Kroger had half ribeye on sale for $6 a lb. I picked one up and tried my hand for the first time at dry aging. Today I trimmed it up and cut the steaks. Six gorgeous inch thick steaks. The aroma was unique. Beef with just a little bit of funk. Kind of like someone had blue cheese but had left the room with it awhile ago. I tried a piece of the trimming and I’m vary pleased with the flavor and texture. Intense beef and soft melting mouthfeel. I saved the stuff that was leftover and I’m going to grind it with some other beef for burgers or some kind of sausage. Any suggestions on what to do with it are welcome. I’ve got a whole strip loin that just started today. I might go shorter on the time where it’s a leaner cut and see how it turns out.
13C1F8E5-833B-49D5-87B8-0A1604657A46.jpeg
0D794397-39C9-4597-A760-5FE339A71ABC.jpeg
57EA932E-3E34-40D8-9D21-568BB45F97D7.jpeg
44CFB349-2EA2-414A-9669-2132D7941317.jpeg

I would not go with a shorter time. I've done quite a few dry aged projects on large primal cuts. Everywhere from 30 days to 90. You really don't see a difference in flavor till you hit the 40 to 45 day mark. As for how to handle them, just trim off the hardened exterior, trim and excess fat that you don't want, and throw those babies on the grill. You're in for one heck of a treat!! The patience will pay off.

Robert

Reactions: gmc2003 and SKade
I would not go with a shorter time. I've done quite a few dry aged projects on large primal cuts. Everywhere from 30 days to 90. You really don't see a difference in flavor till you hit the 40 to 45 day mark. As for how to handle them, just trim off the hardened exterior, trim and excess fat that you don't want, and throw those babies on the grill. You're in for one heck of a treat!! The patience will pay off.

Robert
Thanks. The grill is definitely where they are going. I’m just trying to figure out what to do with the trimmings. I don’t want to waste them and I think they can add a lot of flavor to some burgers or a sausage. I will give the strip plenty of time to age. What are the concerns / things to look for on long aged projects. Can anything bad happen after 60 days that won’t happen after 40? I don’t have a chamber built yet. I’m just using the bags. Are they good for that long?

I’m just trying to figure out what to do with the trimmings.

My first thought would be to use it in a batch of chili. Sausage might be OK but you'll have to add more liquid when mixing to make up for the meat being very dry.

What are the concerns / things to look for on long aged projects

There really are no concerns except for making sure the fridge temp stays low to mid 30's. Getting upwards of 40 for short periods of time is ok when it hits the high temp set point to turn back on to cool but you don't want the temp that high the whole time. Other thing is to make sure you have the meat on a ventilated rack so it gets air under the meat. If it's just sitting on a shelf or in a pan, the meat on the bottom will rot.

Can anything bad happen after 60 days that won’t happen after 40?

Nope, nothing bad at all. Only good stuff. Up to 40 days you'll notice a difference in color ad tenderness but not so much in flavor. That doesn't really start to happen noticeably until about the 60 day mark. The longest I've run a roast is 90 days but I read an article about a place that does a 180 day aged steak. They literally have to cut the white mold off prior to cooking.

I don’t have a chamber built yet. I’m just using the bags.

Heck, you don't need a chamber or even the bags. I only used the uMAI bag once. The rest of the time I just put the meat on a bread rack right into the fridge and let it go. Now I did have a seperate fridge other than the main one in the kitchen that was not accessed as much but nothing special.

A couple links to threads I've posted.

Hope this helps,
Robert

Reactions: SKade
Very nice looking steaks and Robert has you covered. I've done some dry aging in the UMAi bags and as Robert said, the noticeable changes happen around the 6 week mark and beyond. I've seen but not tasted 100 day dry age ribeyes, but would love to taste some...

Man those do look powerful good. Have fun chowing down on them.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great! And it looks like Robert has your answers, and I agree as well. There's a few of my dry age posts with and without UMAI bags in the link in my signature also.

On the topic of what to do with the scraps... By my experience in the long run, it was best to just throw it away. I've tried to use it different ways and was palatable. But boy does it play pinochle with my gut!!!! Given as treats for my dogs was also a similar experience, and that required the use of our carpet shampoo'er! :emoji_poop:
Good luck if you find a good use for it that doesn't have "consequences"!

My first thought would be to use it in a batch of chili. Sausage might be OK but you'll have to add more liquid when mixing to make up for the meat being very dry.

There really are no concerns except for making sure the fridge temp stays low to mid 30's. Getting upwards of 40 for short periods of time is ok when it hits the high temp set point to turn back on to cool but you don't want the temp that high the whole time. Other thing is to make sure you have the meat on a ventilated rack so it gets air under the meat. If it's just sitting on a shelf or in a pan, the meat on the bottom will rot.

Nope, nothing bad at all. Only good stuff. Up to 40 days you'll notice a difference in color ad tenderness but not so much in flavor. That doesn't really start to happen noticeably until about the 60 day mark. The longest I've run a roast is 90 days but I read an article about a place that does a 180 day aged steak. They literally have to cut the white mold off prior to cooking.

Heck, you don't need a chamber or even the bags. I only used the uMAI bag once. The rest of the time I just put the meat on a bread rack right into the fridge and let it go. Now I did have a seperate fridge other than the main one in the kitchen that was not accessed as much but nothing special.

A couple links to threads I've posted.

Hope this helps,
Robert
Thanks for all the info.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky