• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

3rd time smoking.

Walchit

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 22, 2019
I got this char-griller premium kettle for my birthday, and it says its a smoker too, so I did some research and grabbed a couple things to try as a heat deflector. A pizza stone, and some aluminum thing that is for some smoker I dont remember the name of.

I did a shoulder butt first, then a brisket.

Tomorrow is my daughter's birthday party so I figured people might be hungry there. Grabbed 2 picnic shoulders and a shoulder butt. Local honey for the binder. CBP, sea salt, garlic powder, Montreal steak,and head country on them. Put them in at 2 p.m. and last time I checked they were at 190. I'm ready for bed lol.

20190322_140735.jpg
20190322_190104.jpg
20190322_231547.jpg

Walchit

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 22, 2019
Its only at 195. I'm setting an alarm for an hour and taking a nap I guess. I'm not gonna make it much longer lol.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
That's what i call utilizing space! Looks good so far just remember to give them a rest of a minimum of a hour or two. If you wrap them all in foil and put them in a cooler with a towel, I'd say it'd easily hold for 5 to 7 hours as well!

Walchit

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 22, 2019
Missed my alarm and think I woke up after 2 hours instead of 1. Grate temp was down to 181 and the IT went back to 190. So I poked some pecan sticks that fell out of the tree in there and got the temp back up, and went took a shower. I figured it was gonna need more coal but when I went back out it was 224 in the grill 199 IT.

Its 8.5 hours until we will be eating this. Could I just keep it on the smoker for another 45 minutes or so, then throw them in the cooler? Pull them really quick about 4:30 and put them in pans and back in the cooler? I need to drive about 10-15 minutes with it.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 28, 2018
The more you pack your cooler with towels the better the temps will hold. Are you gonna pull them for pulled pork at your destination?

Walchit

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 22, 2019
If that would be the safer way to do it, then yeah. But really I would rather pull it right before I leave. Or maybe pull it an hour or so beforehand, heat it up in the oven then wrap and cooler it for the ride.

Walchit

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 22, 2019
I keep hearing about these finishing sauces! Is there a recipe you can point me in the direction of?

I really do appreciate the help guys! I just barely got this cake pan crammed into my marine cooler. I ran a bunch of towels in the dryer and added them underneath. And a couple on top. I left the temp probe in the meat so I can check it while there is still time to reheat it.

Walchit

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 22, 2019
Thanks! I'm gonna try to get a small nap. Hopefully I have time to make some.

I guess I had seen that link posted and thought it was a product instead of a recipe for some reason

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
I agree, not allot of wasted space on that grill. Looks real good to me.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Good luck!
Your gonna have enough PP to feed an army!
Al

Walchit

Fire Starter
Joined Mar 22, 2019
Everyone seemed to enjoy it. The picnic cuts seemed a little dryer than the other one, labeled pork steak ready shoulder butt. And yeah I did have plenty of leftovers lol.
part0(1).jpg
20190323_200254.jpg
had a little local hot sauce on this one.
20190324_125657.jpg

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
I promise i did not just drool while looking at your pictures! Everything looks great and tasty, tacos with leftover PP is one of my favorites and almost more than a authentic Mexican restaurant!

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.