3rd time smoking.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Walchit

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2019
Topeka, Kansas
I got this char-griller premium kettle for my birthday, and it says its a smoker too, so I did some research and grabbed a couple things to try as a heat deflector. A pizza stone, and some aluminum thing that is for some smoker I dont remember the name of.

I did a shoulder butt first, then a brisket.

Tomorrow is my daughter's birthday party so I figured people might be hungry there. Grabbed 2 picnic shoulders and a shoulder butt. Local honey for the binder. CBP, sea salt, garlic powder, Montreal steak,and head country on them. Put them in at 2 p.m. and last time I checked they were at 190. I'm ready for bed lol.

20190322_140735.jpg
20190322_190104.jpg
20190322_231547.jpg

Its only at 195. I'm setting an alarm for an hour and taking a nap I guess. I'm not gonna make it much longer lol.

That's what i call utilizing space! Looks good so far just remember to give them a rest of a minimum of a hour or two. If you wrap them all in foil and put them in a cooler with a towel, I'd say it'd easily hold for 5 to 7 hours as well!

Reactions: Walchit
Missed my alarm and think I woke up after 2 hours instead of 1. Grate temp was down to 181 and the IT went back to 190. So I poked some pecan sticks that fell out of the tree in there and got the temp back up, and went took a shower. I figured it was gonna need more coal but when I went back out it was 224 in the grill 199 IT.

Its 8.5 hours until we will be eating this. Could I just keep it on the smoker for another 45 minutes or so, then throw them in the cooler? Pull them really quick about 4:30 and put them in pans and back in the cooler? I need to drive about 10-15 minutes with it.

If that would be the safer way to do it, then yeah. But really I would rather pull it right before I leave. Or maybe pull it an hour or so beforehand, heat it up in the oven then wrap and cooler it for the ride.

I keep hearing about these finishing sauces! Is there a recipe you can point me in the direction of?

I really do appreciate the help guys! I just barely got this cake pan crammed into my marine cooler. I ran a bunch of towels in the dryer and added them underneath. And a couple on top. I left the temp probe in the meat so I can check it while there is still time to reheat it.

Thanks! I'm gonna try to get a small nap. Hopefully I have time to make some.

I guess I had seen that link posted and thought it was a product instead of a recipe for some reason

I agree, not allot of wasted space on that grill. Looks real good to me.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Walchit
Everyone seemed to enjoy it. The picnic cuts seemed a little dryer than the other one, labeled pork steak ready shoulder butt. And yeah I did have plenty of leftovers lol.
part0(1).jpg
20190323_200254.jpg
had a little local hot sauce on this one.
20190324_125657.jpg

I promise i did not just drool while looking at your pictures! Everything looks great and tasty, tacos with leftover PP is one of my favorites and almost more than a authentic Mexican restaurant!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky