33 Gallon Build with Vertical Cabinet - aka "The Copper Pot"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok the wife says copper would be cool, will have to do a color test to see....

You should consider putting in an upper intake to facilitate better airflow from FB to HCC.This would also provide a super fine tuning to both CC temps.
upload_2018-5-8_12-29-52.png

Oh, yes that is in the plan, just ran out of daylight last night. I need the top one to get my other 1/3 In sqin of opening. Going to do a couple test burns to see if it is good to go or if it will need an extra one in the side.

I am also putting one in the VCC as well, so I can burn coals directly in there too. That way it can be run as a grill or to add extra heat in addition to the FB. Flexibility of cooking needs.....

Last edited:
Reactions: motocrash
Just working on all the punch list items today....

- HCC Lid drip edge - done
- Active smoke bolts for wood handles - done
- FB vent gates & trim - done
- FB & VCC locking latches - in progress.
IMG_2185.JPG

Next on the list...
- finish latches & handles
- VCC vent gate & trim
- vent gate handles
- Ash tray & fire basket
- VCC active heat deflector
- stack cover gates
- shelves & side burner
- thermometer gauges
- probe gromits
- sandblast & paint
- season
- smoke then eat till over full then repeat.....

Last edited:
Reactions: JWFokker
Well I was able to have just a little bit of time to get all the vent gates done and ready for handles. On the VCC and HCV
IMG_2253.JPG

Also got my side burner and temp gauges.
IMG_2252.JPG

Inch by inch....

I was able to put on the toggle latches for the HCC lid
IMG_2263.JPG

Then was able to finish the VCC deflector pan, the ash tray & fire basket.
IMG_2262.JPG

If I can find some time today, I may do a test burn to verify all is good.

I have the concrete ready to go for the solid surface shelves.

....with the checklist getting short it's getting exciting

Last edited:
Damn right it's getting exciting.;)
As you know,I've been watching this build since it's infancy and I can't wait to see her burn.You decide on a color yet?

Well no fire tonight, but hope to do the beta burn this week.....

I'm leaning toward a two-tone of copper and black i.e. The doors copper and rest black.

She breaths (finally)
IMG_2534.JPG

It breathes really good and warms up nicely in the HCC. The VCC took a longer time to warm up. I'm probably going to modify my drip/deflected pan a bit to allow more air flow.

I was also able to get the the solid surface shelves done. Sorry no pics of the raw concrete...
IMG_2532.JPG

I wanted a rustic stone look. I'm very pleased after the food grade heat resistant epoxy went on.
IMG_2531.JPG

Thanks, I'll be honest they were a little bit of work....and that is coming from some one that has built a 20 ft concrete canoe that weighed in at 80 lbs and paddled it on the Potomac.....

Oh yes it floated....the concrete it's self would float as a cube....61 lbs per cubic foot and 8000 psi.

Yes Sr. the Potomac River from the Maryland Side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky