3 meats 35 people....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Have a family event coming up in August . ive got a frezer full of spares,butts and loins. Would like to make all of the above. Any ideas on how much of each to make for 35 guests? Ive always made just one meat but I would like to serve a variety this time. Also there will be plenty of side dishes! Any thoughts or coments are appreciated. If there are leftovers I doubt that will be a problem...just dont want to run out!

Can't help you out with that, seen several posts about it, but can't remember by whom. I believe chef jimmyj chef jimmyj might have been one that has given advice on this so maybe he will chime in. One thing that has been brought up is the ages of guests...adults, young kids, and teenagers that can eat their weight in gold. Plenty of sides does make a difference.

Be waiting by the mailbox for my invite! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Are you looking at 35 adults or a mix of adults and kids? I regularly cook for 30 - 45 people but there are a lot of kids age 2-12, so this impacts what what I do. 4th of july was 44 people, 17 were kids. Did two butts 7lbs each, 20 brats, and 24 hotdogs, had 1 brat 12 hotdogs and about 3/4ths a pulled butt left over. In the past for a like crowd, 2 butts and 3 slabs of ribs has been more than enough, but I always overcook for the crowd.

Edit - Especially if there are apps - veggie tray, chips and dip, etc. People get on that right away, and I usually give about 2-3hrs from arrival to main meal

Are you looking at 35 adults or a mix of adults and kids? I regularly cook for 30 - 45 people but there are a lot of kids age 2-12, so this impacts what what I do. 4th of july was 44 people, 17 were kids. Did two butts 7lbs each, 20 brats, and 24 hotdogs, had 1 brat 12 hotdogs and about 3/4ths a pulled butt left over. In the past for a like crowd, 2 butts and 3 slabs of ribs has been more than enough, but I always overcook for the crowd.
There will be about 8 kids between the ages 4-12. I was thinking 2 small butts(7lb raw weight each) one full loin to slice and 4 racks of ribs trimed to st Louis style. Is this overkill? We are eating at noon and hanging out most the day. Figure if too much some will go back for second plate later in the day.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
There will be about 8 kids between the ages 4-12. I was thinking 2 small butts(7lb raw weight each) one full loin to slice and 4 racks of ribs trimed to st Louis style. Is this overkill? We are eating at noon and hanging out most the day. Figure if too much some will go back for second plate later in the day.
After posting, I was going to say 1 loin, 2 butts about that size, and 3 slabs of ribs would be perfect... lol. I think you'll be good. Maybe grab a pack of HDs on the side for the kids. Extras for later is a good idea.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
After posting, I was going to say 1 loin, 2 butts about that size, and 3 slabs of ribs would be perfect... lol. I think you'll be good. Maybe grab a pack of HDs on the side for the kids. Extras for later is a good idea.
Thanks D.W.! Yea hot dogs are a must for the kids! (I'll probably sneak a few myself!)

This will do it! The numbers...
35 x 3oz = 105 ÷ 16 = 6.6 Lbs ÷ .5 = 13.2~14lbs raw Butts.
4 racks is 52 bones+/- or 1.5 Bones per person, Perfect!
2 oz × 35 = 70 ÷ 16 = 4.4 ÷ .6 = 7.3~7lb raw Loin.
So there you go...JJ

Awesom
This will do it! The numbers...
35 x 3oz = 105 ÷ 16 = 6.6 Lbs ÷ .5 = 13.2~14lbs raw Butts.
4 racks is 52 bones+/- or 1.5 Bones per person, Perfect!
2 oz × 35 = 70 ÷ 16 = 4.4 ÷ .6 = 7.3~7lb raw Loin.
So there you go...JJ
Awesome! Thanks JJ! And now I have some math I can use in the future to figure this kind of stuff out! I really appreciate it!

Sowsage Sowsage like others have said.....I'll be waiting for my invite. (LOL!) But thinking that your cooking for noonish then if they are like my folks they will be back later for a second round.

Sowsage Sowsage like others have said.....I'll be waiting for my invite. (LOL!) But thinking that your cooking for noonish then if they are like my folks they will be back later for a second round.
Yep . we are having it at my brothers house so the pool will be open. I can see some hungry folks after a dip in the pool! This will actually be our new date for our thanksgiving. Moved it to summer so everyone doesnt have to rush out the door to go to another family get together.

Reactions: JLeonard and D.W.
Sowsage Sowsage I've been a nurse for 28yrs. Seems I always work the holidays. We also do our holidays when its convenient for everyones schedules.

Sowsage Sowsage I've been a nurse for 28yrs. Seems I always work the holidays. We also do our holidays when its convenient for everyones schedules.
First year for this. So far everyone will be able to make it. I think it will work out well.

Reactions: JLeonard
The guys gave you covered and I like the variety idea but as SMF designated devil's advocate maybe have something else besides just pork? Burgers/dogs could work or my Mom's go to for pool/beach party is fried chicken. Don't know how or why but it just works.

The guys gave you covered and I like the variety idea but as SMF designated devil's advocate maybe have something else besides just pork? Burgers/dogs could work or my Mom's go to for pool/beach party is fried chicken. Don't know how or why but it just works.
Well I actually have a beef tenderloin that I had offered up but that was turning into a mess with how everyone differs on how they like the beef cooked. And threw out the idea of pulled beef instead of pork. Everyone decided on pork. Sooooo.... porkapalooza it is! Lol. I also mentioned doing a fish fry... everyone said they wanted smoked meats/BBQ. I think if I try and do different flavor profile one each one that will help split it up a bit. Originally I thought about doing all pulled meats for sandwiches. Pork/chicken/beef....

Oh and yea we will have dogs as well.

Reactions: zwiller
OK so they decided that's cool. They passed on fish?! Your family is weird. :emoji_laughing:
Well if it was just my parents and my brother and his family and the wife and boys it would have been fish. Ryder and I have been stocking up the blugill and catfish for the last few months! Oh well! More for us!! The rest of them....weird? No coment!! Lol!

I am a walleye guy myself. Catfish eating is hotly debated here and most guys smoke and not fry. Have never had bluegill but have been told it is the best of all. Grew up near water and we fished and caught many as kids but they were typically victims of firecrackers. That reminds me, I love fishing and it has been too long...

I am a walleye guy myself. Catfish eating is hotly debated here and most guys smoke and not fry. Have never had bluegill but have been told it is the best of all. Grew up near water and we fished and caught many as kids but they were typically victims of firecrackers. That reminds me, I love fishing and it has been too long...
Walleye and perch for me too... usually make a few trips up to erie every year but with everything going on thats not happens this year yet. Try catfish fellet with a blackened seasoning in hot cast iron! You'll love it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky