3.8# Tri Tip with qView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Throw it on whole. I like to trim the fat off prior to seasoning and cooking. For medium rare cook to an IT of 130-135. Pull it wrap in foil and rest 45 min. Before slicing. Slice across the grain. A mix of cherry and pecan are great woods for beef.

I just cooked a tri-tip last week and it was very delicious.  Based on cooking it, from California, leave the fat on (will help keep meat moist) and cook the tri-tip fat side up.  Make sure to rub some time of moisture (oil, or mustand, etc) over the tri-tip before applying your rub.  Rub it in real good.  The one thing that I can say is...don't go crazy on the rub because it is a meat that kind of soaks up that flavor.  So...too much rub can be overkill.

You will see that this cut is actually a pretty lean cut...than some of the others.  The fat marbling it does have will mess right into the meat nicely.

You want to pull the meat and wrap in foil at about 135 degrees unless you are going eat med rare.  If you don't have any other liquid, put a little water in the foil with it and seal the foil.  I went to about 142 and meat was right amount of pink, pretty nice and moist and really tender.  Remember to cut across grain.  

I stop putting chunks at about 2 hours timeframe.  Nice taste, without tasting the wood instead of the nice flavor of tri-tip.

I usually use cherry and pecan or cherry and oak works really good.   Here's a picture of mine...

Enjoy!  Hope this helps...

Trimmed and rubbed in olive oil and salt pepper and garlic applied.

Warming up grill!

uhy4ejy3.jpg

a4yha4ag.jpg

ydygy7u9.jpg

aty2aja7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off to a good start!

I smoke two to three tri tips a month. I used the leave the fat cap on, but found it really doesn't make for a moister end product. If you were doing a long smoke maybe but not for these guys. I trim now so I can get more rub on the actual meat.

Can't wait to see your finished tri tip!

What do you normally serve them with or on? Just slice?

Like I said I have not made one before.

That looks beautiful!!! Tri tip is one my favorites. Just slice across the grain, which can be somewhat tricky because it goes in two different directions. Anyway, looks like it's going to be fantastic, enjoy!

Great job on the tri tip for your first time!  Lighter rubs like SPOG work best.  Like DS above I've been grillin' tri tips for decades and have already smoked probably two or three dozen since August when I became a smoking addict.

Tri tip is absolutely one of the EASIEST cuts of meat to smoke, grill, etc and cooks relatively fast, more steak-like than roast-like.  We did two 2.5 lb'ers yesterday at 280F with mesquite chunks, mesquite lump, and Kingsford Blue.  Mesquite is a little strong for the meat but my West Texan wife loves them that way.  They were at 133-135F in just an hour and ten minutes. I've smoked them at anywhere from 225F to 280F and they always come out great!  I always trim the fat completely and pull the silver skin if it will come off easily.

We prefer to eat them like fajitas on tortillas with pico de gallo, and sour cream.  Some folks out here add quacamole too but I think it hides the flavor too much.  Leftover tri tips make great French dip and BBQ sauced sandwiches.  If you have a stroganoff recipe you like leftover smoked tri tip makes amazing beef stroganoff.  We've use it in chili too.  Or just eat it plain like steak.

Congrats on a GREAT looking tri tip!

Looks good.  Tri-tip is even better on the 2nd day...like most of the smoked meat.

Here you go...a side dish to have with your tri-tip or better ribs, and brisket:

Got it from the Triple D show...it's really good.  Taste your dressing before adding the mixture to the vegetables.  It will tell

you exactly how it will taste.    Refrigerate for at least 3 or 4 hours, if you can...so the flavors blend together into the slaw.

Coleslaw:

INGREDIENTS:

1 head cabbage, finely shredded

2 carrots, finely chopped

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion (red onion is really nice)

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/3 cup white sugar

1/4 cup milk

1/4 cup buttermilk

1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon horseradish

2 teaspoons black pepper

Directions:

1.            Mix cabbage, carrots, and onion in a large salad bowl. Whisk mayonnaise, sugar, milk, buttermilk, horseradish, Dijon, vinegar, salt, and black pepper in a separate bowl until smooth and the sugar has dissolved.

2.            Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and mix thoroughly. Cover bowl and refrigerate slaw at least 2 hours (the longer the better). Mix again before serving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky