3-2-1 Ribs modified version

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
looks good Al....seems like you hit on a new technique. I have one costco rack left in the freezer....will give this a whirl soon..thx for the posting

Thanks Willie! Let me know what you think when you try this.

Al.  Those ribs look great.  The 3-2-1 modified you mention in the post is essentially what I did that gave me such beautiful results in the Brinkman .  Since it is so hard to maintain temperature on that thing, I finished the ribs on the Weber gas grill.  Did 3 with smoke on the brinkmann, 2 wrapped in foil (not saran and foil) on the brinkmann, then the last 45 min to 1 hour on the Weber at around 275*.  Sauced them a couple of times, but kept them bone side down on the grill.  It works out great.

Those are some Awesome Looking Ribs Al !!!

That last BearView of them cut open is WAY over the top!!!

Thanks Al,

Bear

Great looking Ribs Al...They look awesome....Thanks for sharing the method for your ribs!!!
drool.gif

Those are some Awesome Looking Ribs Al !!!

That last BearView of them cut open is WAY over the top!!!

Thanks Al,

Bear
Thanks Bear, I was thinking of you when I snapped that photo!

Great looking ribs Al,  they look Delicious...
Thanks, Beer

Great looking Ribs Al...They look awesome....Thanks for sharing the method for your ribs!!!
drool.gif
Thanks & your welcome, give it a try & let me know what you think.

I have been trying to make the perfect ribs to satisfy everyone here and have failed until lately. These ribs were the best I (we) ever made. I had some bb's that were very thick & meaty, I did them 3-2-1 instead of 2-2-1. The modified version is to do the last hour on the grill so the outside of the ribs gets crispy. That's where my wife Judy comes in. She has always boiled ribs & then grilled them with great success. Everybody loves her ribs. I do too, but I like the smoke flavor, so lately we have been doing a 3-2 1, with me doing the 3-2 & Judy doing the 1. Actually the one only takes about 30-45 minutes. She puts them on the gas grill with sauce & turns them over every 5 minutes or so until the outside gets crispy. I marinated the ribs for 24 hours in a solution of 1/4 cu salt,1/4 cu Splenda, 1/4 cu Jeff's rub, & 2 quarts of water. Then I rubbed them with mustard & Jeff's & in the fridge over night. Fired up the WSM & set the guru to 225. Put the ribs on with some ABT's ( just seriously sharp cheddar, no bacon), and a batch of BBQ sauce. Let them go for 3 hours. Then wrapped them in Saran wrap & foil with butter, honey, dark beer, & a little more of Jeff's rub. Let them cook for 2 more hours. Then sauced them & Judy put them on the grill. She had the grill at 350-400 and turned & sauced them every 5 minutes or so until they had a nice crispy skin.

The ABT's and BBQ sauce are done.

81cc4c09_July4thribsABTs3.jpg
Any chance of getting a hint of what all is in that sauce? I never thought of making a batch and then smoking it.

good looking ribs Al..I will give them a try that way only light on the sauce...Thanks for the great idea...

Any chance of getting a hint of what all is in that sauce? I never thought of making a batch and then smoking it.
It's Jeff's sauce recipe, only we use Splenda instead of sugar.

good looking ribs Al..I will give them a try that way only light on the sauce...Thanks for the great idea...

Let me know how you like it. I think you will be surprised at how little sauce taste there is. It just makes a nice crust almost like bark.

Boy, those look fabulous, i could eat some of those now and I haven't even had breakfast yet. Am going to the market today and will look for some good looking ribs and try the 3-2-1 method tomorrow or Sunday. I'll skip the plastic wrap, though, and stick to foil. My DH worked in the plastic engineering industry for years and considers many of them safe, but what's known now about heating plastic products, even HE won't cook anything in plastic. If you do, please be sure the wrap you use is rated for heat (most aren't). You gotta pick your poisons, lol. 

Wow Al nice smoke ring and looks very juicey and tender you nailed it
drool.gif
Thanks David

Boy, those look fabulous, i could eat some of those now and I haven't even had breakfast yet. Am going to the market today and will look for some good looking ribs and try the 3-2-1 method tomorrow or Sunday. I'll skip the plastic wrap, though, and stick to foil. My DH worked in the plastic engineering industry for years and considers many of them safe, but what's known now about heating plastic products, even HE won't cook anything in plastic. If you do, please be sure the wrap you use is rated for heat (most aren't). You gotta pick your poisons, lol. 
Thanks Cinderella, A couple of the other guys said the same thing about the wrap. This is the first time I have tried it after seeing it used in competition BBQ. I must say it works quite well at sealing in all the juices. It didn't seem to be affected by the heat. Like it wasn't stuck together or anything. It's a commercial grade that I got from a restaurant supply, but it doesn't say anything on the box about heat. I will check into it further.

OMG AL  i almost missed it. it looks yummy 
9eb58330_th_sSc_jawdrop3.gif
 they look juicy and tender
c93c2e86_th_sSig_youtheman.gif
Thanks Ahron!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky