275 gal Oil tank build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kobornigan

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Pleasant Valley, NY
OK guys...I'm ready to do it. I have acquired a 275gal oil tank & a small (4'x4' I think) utility trailer (both free!!) for my build. I want to make it a SFB, reverse flow. So my thoughts are, stand the tank as it would normally be, on it's feet, and bolt/weld it to the trailer. Then attach the SFB at the back end. I have the calculator, but I may need help understanding what size I actually need exactly. As for the reverse flow portion of it, I'm a little clueless. Do I need to have a certain amount of space under the cooker and how big does the opening into the chamber have to be?

Thanks guys & I'll post pics real soon!

Curious to see pics of the tank. I have a build in progress. sounds like you might have the same style tank. Check out  new project as a humble beginning if ya want. If it is the same style maybe you can get some ideas.

icon_cool.gif

Yea we want to see this whole buiding thing OK.......

FINALLY got it started yesterday! Decided to go with a direct flow rather than SFB RF, though. Got the doors cut & started burning it out. I'll be working on it again later this week so I'll grab some pics then. More burning(really didn't make a huge effort as it was late in the day) & a trip to the metal supply shop. Already have a lead on some freebie piano hinges for the doors & got a bunch of SS handles & latches from work. Possibly some polished SS paneling too! Pics to follow, I promise!

Last edited:
OK, HUGE update!! Finally got it home yesterday after a ton of work. It took me long enough, but I learned to weld (not the best at it, but hey!) and got to make it the way I wanted to. I have thank my friend Shaun profusely for the time, energy & patience he lent me in building this contraption. I took parts from anything & everything I could find to piece this beat together. So, after countless hours (not done yet either, still need to grind/sand/paint & add gauges) and about $600 worth of materials, her she is.......FRANKEN-COOKER!

cd46877e_IMG_5367.jpg

c26b108c_IMG_5369.jpg

76d87f00_IMG_5368.jpg

2f0e34b0_IMG_6139.jpg

d3084bfe_IMG_6138.jpg

5ee01a33_IMG_6141.jpg

e0424209_IMG_6142.jpg

92c318d3_IMG_6140.jpg

3fae4bad_IMG_6143.jpg

30acc468_IMG_6144-1.jpg

e9303beb_IMG_6137.jpg

Last edited:
Temped it up this weekend for the first time. I was a little nervous, seeing how much time & money I've put into it, buuuuuuut....it turned out great. She held temp great. The plates do a wonderful job of holding the temp when refueling is needed. There was about a 6 degree difference between the top two racks but a 50 degree difference from the bottom. That was to be expected considering they're only about 6" above the heat plates. All in all, I was very pleased...
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Now for some paint & detailing! Anyone know where to get a decent thermometer for the doors? I've looked around & found a ton.....from eBay to amazon & prices are very different. Any thoughts?

Very nice job!!!

Now where's the Beef?

And the pork.

Question: Did you use the tank upside down, so you could use the large threaded holes in the top for drains?

Bear

You got it Bear! Actially drains & air intake(s). Also, the threaded holes that are normally used for feet can also be used for a canopy
biggrin.gif

That's a Great idea!

The 275 gallon tank my son used had the holes spaced evenly, so he left it right side up, and put a chimney in each of the three places.

Either way works great!

Nice job,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky