25 Pounds of Goodness

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by daggerdoggie, Aug 17, 2011.

1. daggerdoggie

daggerdoggie Smoke Blower

With the new cold smokehouse complete, I needed something to put in it to try it out. I picked up two pork bellies this afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is only my third time making bacon.  Here's my process...please let me know if I am doing it right.  

I measure out cure #1 for each piece of whole belly that I cut in half (a tsp./5lbs measured by weight) and using an old spice container, I sprinkle that all over the meat surface.  I don't put any on the skin side as that will get some, what little it will absorb, form the liquid that comes off the meat as I turn it.  I then add a half cup of salt (I used sea salt this time) and a half cup of dark brown sugar for every five pounds. I then place them in large Zip Lock bags and into the refrigerator for ten days, turning them daily. Out of the bags, I'll rince them off and do a test fry (previously, I have not soaked them) add black pepper after patting them with paper towels and then I used the fan method in a chest freezer to dry them for a couple of hours before smoking.

So far, I have cold smoked them at 100 degrees for 12 hours using apple wood.

[​IMG]

So far it has turned out great.  I have to stop giving it away.  I would appreciate any ideas.

2. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a plan. I'm just glad all my neighbors moved, I don't have to yell "Dave's Not Here Man" anymore. [​IMG]

3. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

If you like the results, stick with the same plan

On my last bacon smoke, I smothered one side of one slab with honey and then coated with CBP.. 

My only regret I have is that I did not smother both sides with honey and CBP.

Good Luck!!

Todd

4. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

OOPS!

Duplicate Post

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  5. daggerdoggie

Was that skin off or skin on?  Thinking of doing maple syrup and CBP on a couple.

6. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I have rubbed mine down with canadian maple syrup and the CBP just before smoking and they were FANTASTIC!!!

7. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Personally I like it smoke them as cool as I can the less heat you can get the less fat will be rendered.

8. daggerdoggie

I'm going to try that, but I will have to settle for home made New York State Maple syrup here.

I can keep it very cool, particularly if I do it over night...don't want to loose any of that fat.

9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Sounds great!

Good luck!

10. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Sounds good on the CBP...

11. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

I must be slow.
    What CBP stand for ????

12. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Never mind. Look it up .
    CBP (cracked black pepper )

13. woundedyak

woundedyak Smoke Blower

So your telling me I half to wait until the end of the month to see your smoke house? By the way, What are you guy's paying per lbs for belly in NY?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  14. daggerdoggie

Sure!  I paid $2.39/lb for this.

15. woundedyak

woundedyak Smoke Blower

Wow!!! I got a local butcher who grows some pretty nice health bacon. He just doubled his price to $6.99 Looks like i'm on the hunt again. Do you have a thread or any pics of the smoke house?

16. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Now ya did it!!!

You're hooked !!!

Any finished pics for eye-candy???

Maybe some sliced??

Thanks,

Bear

17. daggerdoggie

18. daggerdoggie

19. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I'm with Piney on this... cold smoked bacon is great! Instead of rendering the fat, I like to cold smoke under 85 F.

Good luck with what ever you do!