23lb Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
TNJAKE, my apologies that I misunderstood your statement above.

I stopped logging smokes this year, but looked at last year's log. 1/7/18, smoked a 19 lb turkey, spatched using a combination of lump and briquettes. I used a big, round paella pan with a cooling rack in it to keep the bird out of the juices and allow circulation (I always use some type of pan to catch the juices for gravy and keep the smoker cleaner). My target chamber temp was 325F, but the smoker ran at 354F. It was a 4 hour and 5 minute smoke for the bird to reach an IT of 167 in the coolest part.

Next bird: 18 lb spatched bird, chamber ran 350-365F. Bird took 4 hours to 165F IT.
Next. 18.3 lb fresh bird, spatched, not brined, took 3 hrs 15 mins at 325F. (Go figure. Birds are as ornery as pork butts).
Three days later I did another 18.3 lb fresh bird, spatched, but the smoker was loaded with a big pan of veggies on the lower rack. The veggies were a huge heat sink with the bird because there was almost a full bottle of cheap white wine in the veggies. Smoker ran 250-280F and that bird took 4.5 hours to finish.

Two lessons. Smokers can be ornery, and there's nothing linear about using a smoker. Also, it generally takes roughly an hour for a bird's IT to rise from 140F to 160-165F IT in the coldest part when the chamber temp is 325F.
No problem. I asked a ton of questions all at once. Haha. Never smoked a Turkey this big and didnt want to kill anyone! I appreciate the examples ofsome of your cooks. Everybody gave me some solid advice and I'm out of panic mode. Thanksfor the help.

Here is how I do a large turkey.
Al

Reactions: TNJAKE
I smoked a 13 lb spatchcocked and wet-brined turkey at 225 F and it only took 3 1/2 hours to reach 160 F internally. Use an electric smoker, so temp is pretty consistent throughout the smoke. While skin wasn't really crisper, it was moist as heck and everyone loved it.

Wondering myself about approx timing to smoke a spatchcocked and wet-brined 20 lb turkey (weight before spatchcocking) at 225 F. And if I want crisper skin, okay to stick under an oven broiler for 5 (?) minutes?

I smoked a 13 lb spatchcocked and wet-brined turkey at 225 F and it only took 3 1/2 hours to reach 160 F internally. Use an electric smoker, so temp is pretty consistent throughout the smoke. While skin wasn't really crisper, it was moist as heck and everyone loved it.

Wondering myself about approx timing to smoke a spatchcocked and wet-brined 20 lb turkey (weight before spatchcocking) at 225 F. And if I want crisper skin, okay to stick under an oven broiler for 5 (?) minutes?
These guys are right. I wouldnt risk a 225 cook on a bird that size. I spatched mine about an hour ago and it looks like a mythical beast it's so big lol. It filled up an extra large roasting pan.

Attachments

• 20191127_130504.jpg
    20191127_130504.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 24
Well.......gonna pull it off in about 15min. 3hrs total. I was planning on closer to 5hrs. Lunch isnt for 4 hrs. Any ideas on how to keep it fresh until then?

Attachments

• 20191128_081427.jpg
    20191128_081427.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 28
Don't pre-slice it for sure. Id foil each piece tightly and place in a roasting pan to catch juices. I'd say wrap in towel too but then the towel will soak up your juices. So foil, roasting pan, and cover the roasting pan.

Don't pre-slice it for sure. Id foil each piece tightly and place in a roasting pan to catch juices. I'd say wrap in towel too but then the towel will soak up your juices. So foil, roasting pan, and cover the roasting pan.
And just leave it sitting out?

That's where I'm hoping others will chime in. 4 hrs is a good while so while this will help maintain heat for a good hour to maybe even 2, me personally I'd start to worry about the safety of the temps after that while. But if we throw it back in the oven at a warm temp then we run the risk of dry turkey.

That's where I'm hoping others will chime in. 4 hrs is a good while so while this will help maintain heat for a good hour to maybe even 2, me personally I'd start to worry about the safety of the temps after that while. But if we throw it back in the oven at a warm temp then we run the risk of dry turkey.
Triple wrapped in foil and threw it in a cooler with a towel. Screw it lol. Smells good though so there's that

Sounds good man. That should help you save juices too. Also keep in mind that the shit will rehydrate so if it was crispy... It don't be anymore...

Turned out juicy as heck and delicious. Was still steaming when I unwrapped. Thanks for everyone's help and hope yall have a good Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• 20191128_123610.jpg
    20191128_123610.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: sandyut
Looks amazing man glad it worked out. You must be out east I'm barely getting the smoker up to temp here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky