23° grilling on my Traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

annewaldron

Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
We had 4" of snow last night and I'd already planned dinner for tonight so I was not going to let sub-zero temps stop me!

IMG_4241.jpeg

I'm not as good a documentarian as tx smoker tx smoker so all I have is the empty package the beef came in :emoji_laughing:

IMG_4279.jpeg

But here it is sitting pretty on the grill seasoned with Meat Church Gospel seasoning which I think is really good on beef.

4C5A46E7-CAAB-40C4-A4D9-53B997A3036C.jpeg

While it was cooking I roasted up some butternut squash and brussels sprouts, scattered in some dried cranberries and fresh thyme at the end, then tossed it all in a light dijon vinaigrette.

AQJHE0777.jpg

Pulled the steak at about 130 internal temp and rested it briefly (I got after it with my kitchen torch for a little extra color)

IMG_4285.jpeg

Sliced that beauty in half for sharing with my man

IMG_4286.jpeg

And served.

91A53148-FC8D-4529-8BDA-5BCD1B7DAF42.jpeg

It was truly amazing- flavor was outstanding- CP beef is no joke! And my Traeger did not disappoint in 23° weather! Win-win!

Be sure to invest in the Traeger thermal blanket. Makes a huge difference during the winter months!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 20
Be sure to invest in the Traeger thermal blanket. Makes a huge difference during the winter months!
I’ve seen that blanket, but I didn’t seem to have any problems without it. I figured if it performed as well as it did last night that I could save my money. How has your experience been with the blanket added? Is it easy to put on/take off? The small print mentions that you shouldn’t use it w temps over freezing so I don’t know if that would make it a pain to deal with.

Excellent looking steak - well done. Now that winter weather is here. I have to get my mind set corrected to smoke in the colder temps.

Point for sure
Chris

Beautifully cooked steak but those veggies look otherworldly!! Just an amazing looking meal. If you keep cooking like that your man may have to learn to cook for himself 'cause you're gonna eat it all :emoji_laughing: Yep, one fine looking meal and beautiful documentation. Glad your first run with the CP beef was a success. We have loved that stuff!!

Robert

I’ve seen that blanket, but I didn’t seem to have any problems without it. I figured if it performed as well as it did last night that I could save my money. How has your experience been with the blanket added? Is it easy to put on/take off? The small print mentions that you shouldn’t use it w temps over freezing so I don’t know if that would make it a pain to deal with.
It comes right on and off easy. Early winter I take it off and put it on depending on the temp. I live in Michigan so it stays on most of the winter. This fall has been unusually cold (It was 7 degrees the other night.) so I'm using it already. To me it is worth the $$. I have two Traegers and have one for each.

Reactions: annewaldron
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky