22 lb Butt Smoke, plenty of Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teeznuts

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Central Cali
Picked up a 2 pack of butts that was originally intended for BBB but I've been craving a good PP sammie lately and my brother and nephews have been wanting to try it as well. I decided to turn these into PP. I like it in chunks, my brother likes it more shredded. No problem! I included exact times for the first timers or curious lurkers, someone always asks.

Just over 22 lb of butt.

848bcd96_IMGP3425.jpg

Both were injected with apple juice and coated in mustard, molasses and some SPOG.

867a76ee_IMGP3430.jpg

They both went on at the same time. Smoke temp was 225-230 and the smoke was a mix of apple and mesquite. Both cleared the danger zone with no problems. Then they each had their own schedule. This one hit 165 It at 7 hours 20 minutes. Instead of just foiling I placed in a foil pan with a mix of apple juice and molasses in the bottom to create a sweet steam.

f687db5d_IMGP3431.jpg

dad03087_IMGP3433.jpg

Then back into the smoker with slow poke.

b68c8a69_IMGP3436.jpg

Stubborn butt here hit 165 at 9 hours 24 minutes. A whole 2 hours after it's partner.

3603e383_IMGP3447.jpg

The first done hit 205 at 13 hours and 26 minutes. The bone all but jumped out on its own.

691936b6_IMGP3451.jpg

All shredded up for brother's house

664b2dd3_IMGP3454.jpg

This guy hit 205 at 15 hours 58 minutes. He was in no hurry thats for sure.

609bd682_IMGP3461.jpg

Time to chunk this guy up.

7a928224_IMGP3459.jpg

4f1a8ad2_IMGP3464.jpg

Bear View

3e67646f_IMGP3463.jpg

Made a PP slider from each batch. One with home made q sauce, the other with SoFlaQuer's finishing sauce. Delish!!!

679c106f_IMGP3457.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Looks Great!...JJ

Awesome!!

Ya forgot to put the slaw on those sammies!!

Craig

Looks awesome!  The bark looks like you smoked them in a roofing tar vat.  (I mean that in a good way)  Amazing!

I'm a chunky lover too when it comes to PP.  I don't care for the shred.  I like a nice hunk of meat. 

Looks awesome!  The bark looks like you smoked them in a roofing tar vat.  (I mean that in a good way)  Amazing!

I'm a chunky lover too when it comes to PP.  I don't care for the shred.  I like a nice hunk of meat. 
Thats the molasses. It really gives a nice dark bark.

That looks absolutely Perfect, from My house!!!!   Shame my house is so far from your house !!!!

And that BearView is Magnificent !!!

Thanks Teez,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky