21.5 hour butt done barked up Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
hey guys, I needed to check in. this is only my second butt and it was 9lb, running at 235. 15 hours in and i am only at 175. Should I stay the course? wrap and continue? I kinda thought it would have been done when I got up at 15 hours...

thanks

Sandy,

I’ve done pork butts for 24+ hours before. Stay the course unless your crunches for time. If you keep it going the way you are now you’ll have a butt with tremendous bark! If you wrap it you’ll lose that great bark.

Just last weekend I did 4 pork butts for over 20 hours. It happens. Not a big deal.

If you have to wrap because of time add some juice or water to the foil wrap and it’ll finish up pretty quick.

Good luck
Scott

Reactions: sandyut
Agreed with Scott, stay the course! You could bump up the temp a bit if you were wanting it to finish faster. On the later parts of my butts I get it up to 300 or so to finish.

So glad I asked! I had to run and meet some folks. I left it cooking. Should be back in about 20 to check it and update.

Many thanks!!! Saved my stress levels

Reactions: Jiffylush
You can crank up your heat to 250 if you need to get it done faster. Keep your smoker closed, it’s like a crock pot every time you open it it takes a while to heat back up.

Also are you sure of your smokers temp? Are you measuring it with a external thermo or are you trusting your smokers thermo? My smokers thermos are all off by as much as 50 degrees.

Scott

yeah, I kicked it up to 250 about an hour ago. 192 and nearly done. killer bark on this one. Ill get pics of the whole beginning to end in a bit.

Yeah my lid thermo is worthless, i have been on a digital external all along. should be ready for a photo shoot then to cooler here soon.

thanks for the assist!

Sounds like you have it covered!
Sometimes those butts just have a mind of their own.
But from your description I bet this is going to be a winner!!
Al

I called it at 199 and 21.5 hours. The second batch of coals was starting to die off. the 14"SWM worked hard today. Load it last night about 4p, raised the bowl about an inch and piled it high, started with a conservative minion method and some wood (apple and hickory). About 7am this morning it was clear a reload was needed. Added another small starter full of sorta started coals and that pulled us through to 2pm ish. I double foiled wrapped and dropped int the cooler and covered with towels. Will pull and consume after happy hours!

Thanks guys for the assist! As always - this forum is the best, good people always willing to help in a pinch with suggestions and support!

Looks and smells good. I haven't made anything with bark like this! Kinda dont think its gonna suck...

Attachments

• IMG_3819.JPG
    IMG_3819.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3822.JPG
    IMG_3822.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3823.JPG
    IMG_3823.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3826.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3827.JPG
    IMG_3827.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 54
You put a pork butt on at 7 p.m?
What would you have done if at 5 a.m. it was at 200?
Anyway.. hope it's good and tasty for ya.. have fun!
I have done a few over nighters with less poundage. I was pretty sure that wasn't a risk. Besides we two lab puppies and they dont sleep in at all...530a wake up calls are common.

I’m sure after that amount of time and the way it looks it’ll be great! I’ve pulled as low as 198 before. Bone pulled right out.

Nice looking bark!

Scott

thanks Scott! I think it will be pretty tender. there were some cook snacks stuck the probe...It was hard not to chop off a chunk after that.

thanks guys! couple more hours till we OD on the pulled goodness.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky