2023 N. FL Gathering

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mid 80's here. Normally much warmer than the panhandle, but they are pretty warm, too.
We went to opening day of Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot.
Should be seeing ducklings in a few weeks.

Were less than a month away from the gathering. Id like to get an idea of what days you all are getting there.

Let me know.

Thanks

Brian

JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 boykjo boykjo tx smoker tx smoker and whoever else may be interested it seems I have a decent amount of venison like 50-75 lbs and several pork butts in the freezer I would like to grind some to make some fresh sausage for the Gathering any other ideas? I have an electric snack stick/jerky gun and a brand new 30 lbs stuffer. Got a dehydrator that will hold about 20-25 lbs. Have my grinder with new knife and plates. Not sure what all I have in supplies but I can order whatever we may need. I'll be ordering some spice packs from Waltons and Owens and maybe Butcher Packer.
Let me know what you think or might maybe want to do if anything

Reactions: drdon and jaxgatorz
JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 boykjo boykjo tx smoker tx smoker and whoever else may be interested it seems I have a decent amount of venison like 50-75 lbs and several pork butts in the freezer I would like to grind some to make some fresh sausage for the Gathering any other ideas? I have an electric snack stick/jerky gun and a brand new 30 lbs stuffer. Got a dehydrator that will hold about 20-25 lbs. Have my grinder with new knife and plates. Not sure what all I have in supplies but I can order whatever we may need. I'll be ordering some spice packs from Waltons and Owens and maybe Butcher Packer.
Let me know what you think or might maybe want to do if anything
Jerry will you be making it while we are there to watch and learn? Or do you need to make them in advance?

We will be leaving Biloxi Friday at "O'Dark thirty". What is an acceptable time to be there on Friday?

We want to bring some crawfish, 1 to 2 sacks however much people want, but we won't have any cooking equipment with us.
So I'm still asking for anyone who would like to get them cooked.?? I'll buy all the ingredients.

Don

Jerry will you be making it while we are there to watch and learn? Or do you need to make them in advance?

We will be leaving Biloxi Friday at "O'Dark thirty". What is an acceptable time to be there on Friday?

We want to bring some crawfish, 1 to 2 sacks however much people want, but we won't have any cooking equipment with us.
So I'm still asking for anyone who would like to get them cooked.?? I'll buy all the ingredients.

Don
We will be most likely making it during the event and putting the smoke house to use.

As for the crawfish we can have a pot and all there to cook them. You tell me what you need for cooking equipment and ill make sure we have it.

Look forward to see you there.

We will be most likely making it during the event and putting the smoke house to use.

As for the crawfish we can have a pot and all there to cook them. You tell me what you need for cooking equipment and ill make sure we have it.

Look forward to see you there.
To be honest Brian I was going to try to pick Keith's indaswamp indaswamp brain. At the last gathering I remember there was some crab boil corn that would go nicely with the crawfish as well as some andouille that I would be happy to get at Wayne Jacobs in La Place. I don't know that much about cooking,....but I DO know a lot about eating! :emoji_blush: I would leave the cooking instructions to those that know. I'm a fair sous chef and go--pher. So I'll supply the ingredients if someone is willing to take the lead. I wanna learn.

Don

Don I honestly don't know how to cook mud bugs correctly. I'm sure I have a pot and burner around here that would work and plan on buying another bigger burner before the Gathering so that part shouldn't be a problem. If someone can give us the ingredients I can see if I can find them I will also check with my guy about a case of corn not sure about that one but I'll try. Hopefully Indaswamp/Keith can make it over and take care of it for us or instruct someone on what and how to do it. Eman God rest his soul used to take care of all this, I miss him for many reasons this just being one of those things he always handled

Reactions: drdon
Jerry, How's the smoke house pipe burner. Are you still using it or did you go with something else. I know we had some issues when it got cold at night and the tank was freezing up. We had to run the burner wide open to keep the heat at temp.
Our plan is to hit disney monday and tuesday and leave on wednesday and head to your place. I can clean up the burner and get the smoke house running to make sure everything goes well when we smoke some sausage.

Joe it's not working I have a burner in there now. Tim is getting me a list of what I need to put an oven burner in there and run it with a pid and whatever. Will be able to program it to start and bump the temps up every hour or whatever I want it to do but of course I won't have it ready to go for this Gathering. Remember the last or one before or before we had a fresh sausage for breakfast that was pretty dang good with eggs or in a biscuit I think I have that same . .seasoning pack ordered. Let me know anything I might need to get or order.

Reactions: bmudd14474
Jerry... If you have 220v near the smokehouse I can bring my heat elements and PID controller... It's all programmed and ready to go...

Casings... I have a fresh hank of 32-25mm Hog, A fresh hank of 20-22 sheep (breakfast sausage/snack sticks) and some 32ish Sheep (All pretubed from Syracuse) ... I can bring them and can even have some presoaking ..
I will also bring my 5 lb stuffer for sticks if we want to do any of those... Not sure what I have for collagen casings...

Let me know what else I might be able to help with...

Keith I haven't cased sticks since I've been using the dehydrator but we can use the stuffer or try the electric jerky gun. As I said if I need to order something let me know

Okay people it's getting pretty close sure would be nice if we had more people coming don't get me wrong we will have a good time with the people that are coming but it's always nice to have new friends come.
Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke , SherryT SherryT , DougE DougE , TNJAKE TNJAKE , indaswamp indaswamp , and @ many others who are in FL, GA, SC, AL, MS, even TN, KY, and many other places

Okay people it's getting pretty close sure would be nice if we had more people coming don't get me wrong we will have a good time with the people that are coming but it's always nice to have new friends come.
Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke , SherryT SherryT , DougE DougE , TNJAKE TNJAKE , indaswamp indaswamp , and @ many others who are in FL, GA, SC, AL, MS, even TN, KY, and many other places
I'd love to be there and meet some of you folks, but as a charter captain, this is my busiest time of the year and all of my weekends are booked...

Appreciate the mention pineywoods pineywoods , Jerry but I think the last time I crossed a state line was 20 years ago. I'm not much of a traveler and pretty much stay within my local area.

Howdy y'all! Sorry i haven't been on the forum much, alot of life/job stuff has been going on. I plan on coming to the gathering! I need to scroll back a few pages and see what i've missed but do you need me to bring anything? I have 2 dehydrators each with 15 sqft of dehydrating space if you need more for the venison or whatever else :)

My plan is to head up there after work on Friday. I'll likely be tent camping and heading back at some point Sunday.

Reactions: bmudd14474
It's been a long time since I opened up the camper and is shows. Tags were from 2016. Renewed the tags, Packed and installed new bearings, installed new tires and rims I bought a few years ago and opened up the camper and found a mouse hotel. Mice had gotten into the camper and were living in the sink cabinet. They found a way to the other end of the camper and chewed a hole in the canvas and use it for a bathroom. Pee'd all over the end canvas zip down window to the short bed. I had my work cut out for me. Spent all day cleaning the inside. Gassed the ants with spray bombs and went to work on the canvas. I was able to soak the stained areas with "shout" and wash the canvas in a small tub of hot water *(changing frequently) and get the canvas clean. Not sure what I'm going to do with the two-inch hole in the canvas window. Seen some patch kits but not crazy about stick-ons. Took it for a test drive with the new subaru and didnt know it was back there. Going to be a smooth ride. Hitting the Disney fort wilderness for a few days with theme park hopper tickets before we head to Jerry's.
PXL_20230406_125902123.jpg

I wish I was closer and able to attend. the prior ones looked like a great experience and this time will undoubtedly be the same

Reactions: smokin peachey
Mice had gotten into the camper

Hitting the Disney fort wilderness for a few days with theme park hopper tickets before we head to Jerry's.

Joe if your canvas has a raw side the best patch I recommend is a latex based glue and either a denim (yes it is a canvas) or an undyed canvas patch. Latex glue can be found under the Tear Mender brand
You will need to coat and seal the exterior side of the patch. The coating I used to get is off the market so not a clue. Maybe a RV shop will have something.
I have not found anything that effectively removes mouse odor.

PM me if you want some Disney tips. Wife and I are Passholders. Take advantage of the early entry you get as a resort guest.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky