2020 Thanksgiving Dinner!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Ok, I suspect this may be a surprise but here was our Thanksgiving prep and dinner this year.

First the dinner......pellet smoked beef ribs and Gordon Ramsey sausage pasta....
0358710E-FFC6-4473-9904-7C0FC15D074B.jpeg

B-Rib Money!
22FE568A-3C00-4E3F-8C0B-F561C64AA276.jpeg

Yum yum yum!
08819248-2AD0-48D4-A7A6-149B70071485.jpeg

Ok now the story behind the rib plate for our Thanksgiving meal.

So a week ago this was the state of our kitchen.......the Gas guys playing hide and seek with the Gas line......and as they were cutting into the line I was moving the 50 amp line that was used for the old induction to the new oven location and the 20 amp for the range top...
AA07ACC8-9AA6-4E61-82E6-1C536841540F.jpeg

Closing up the mine field and the wife did some mud work!
6405E3B1-7A21-4DF7-8AD8-2D8B0344A2D2.jpeg

Putting the finishing touches on the cabinet boxes in the wife’s stall to keep the dust down.
303013CF-C5FD-4146-A9DD-6663DD039E52.jpeg

here was the state of the kitchen last night ...
D72FC7E3-2A6F-40C3-9322-B68E53996C78.jpeg

all I can say is this was a a huge day for us!!!

Oh man this is just a wonderful thing to behold and be thankful for!!!
2DAF5A87-3264-4DDD-B6AE-27DF6B3A56A4.jpeg

and if 6-18k burners doesn’t make you smile, having a true simmer of a dual stacked burner will send shivers down your spine!
96676B48-9777-4756-835D-385C09A1097D.jpeg

the second to last task of the night was to put the last coat of poly on the oven cab! This cab is just a few inches short of 9 ft tall, so after seeing the top coat go on as fingers crossed means time to celebrate!
C34B804B-6FD1-41E9-B8D0-F757D2771959.jpeg

So here was the celebration last night after the poly work (9:45 pm).....the very first cook!
D3A6DC6A-5EC9-4537-BCDD-0348B9009F2B.jpeg

bingo two simple sunny side up eggs!
0033E975-20C3-4C4D-A36B-679ED7A35508.jpeg

631B7096-3C4D-4813-8A3C-26D64F061866.jpeg

oh man finally having GAS again is a wonderful thing! The eggs were pretty good to!
E9152BA6-207A-4FAC-88DF-ADEE5D7DA9F2.jpeg

so this morning the wife made rice crispy treats and I made little Smokey’s (searing them before bbq sauce brought tears to my eyes!)

then the work began on bringing in the big boycab and ovens........

so this was the state of the kitchen at 6pm when the ovens went live.....it was 6:10 pm....we have been without an oven for 4 months.....this brought tears to my wife’s eyes!
A637AF9B-B7DB-4D37-843E-47B214C0C179.jpeg

So the rib dinner was brought to us all by our 18 year old boy as I was working on the oven install. I’d say he did pretty dang good!

the next chapters will be taking out the sink and bar for the new ones I will finish up this weekend, then doors and the top pantry cabs, then the granite and I will do the 3/4” hickory floors....
CC440C8D-07AE-44AD-A132-A2DE197259E7.jpeg

so tomorrow the wife will be baking the pies while I’m in the shop and the big turkey din din will be on Saturday.....better late than never in my book!

thanks for being part of our chaos but it’s all good and something are that we are thankful for to have our dream kitchen.

Last edited:
Very nice Equipment! Congrats on the new kitchen ...JJ

Here's to the unconventional thanksgiving Dinner 🍻

Yes, congrats on the new kitchen!
Looks like it'll be really nice.

I remember our remodel, we switched back to good'ol gas too.
I've a five burner gas cooktop, and I'm digging your six burner.

Very nice Equipment! Congrats on the new kitchen ...JJ
Thanks jj! It’s been a crazy ride to get here but I think we are going to cook the crap out of them! Lol

Here's to the unconventional thanksgiving Dinner 🍻

Yes, congrats on the new kitchen!
Looks like it'll be really nice.

I remember our remodel, we switched back to good'ol gas too.
I've a five burner gas cooktop, and I'm digging your six burner.
thanks chiler! I’m as gas guy for sure! I’ve been looking at this 6 burner for over 12 years now. We got it on sale for about the same as a 5 burner cook top! We honestly can’t even believe the kitchen is happening...,

Man, what a kitchen!!!
Some day...some day I will get my kitchen.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks Fork! The kitchen has been many second shift nights after the day job....but once the wife got the bid for new cabs, she said no way in a very colorful way..... then she shows me this kitchen pic of horizontal grain walnut cabs and says can you make these....... I said yup, but it will take a few months......What inked the deal was the materials, needed cool tools, appliances, floors, lights, granite, and paint all combined was still the less than the shop cab bid......I’m just thankful for a patient wife!

• Love
Reactions: forktender
Nice work . I put a black trim detail top and bottom of my wall cabinets . Everybody thinks it sounds weird 'til they see it . Your cabinets are darker than mine , but might look good on there .
Be waiting to see the finish , and the turkey .

Your meal looks tasty! But your kitchen is gonna be spectacular when finished! Love what you have already. Your patience will definitely be rewarding! I bet you've never been so proud of cooking 2 eggs as you were of those

Ryan

I agree, love that new stove top and kitchen set-up! I know what you went through with the remodel. We recently bought a new house that needs plenty of updates, including a kitchen!

That kitchen is looking spectacular !!
thanks jaxg! It still has a bit to go but now the pressure is one to finish it out trick as my wife says.

Nice work . I put a black trim detail top and bottom of my wall cabinets . Everybody thinks it sounds weird 'til they see it . Your cabinets are darker than mine , but might look good on there .
Be waiting to see the finish , and the turkey .
thanks chop! Can you send me a pic of your finish trim work? The top still has a set of 18 inch pantry cabs then a 5.5 inch wide horizontal grain molding (that was the plan). On the bottom the walnut panel is just higher than the wood floor so it has its breathing room under so it can have a thinner 1/2 x 1.5 base trim.

Totally drooling over that kitchen!
Jim
thanks Jim! We have been drooling even just looking at the parts in the garage for a while now. It’s hard to believe it’s happening!

Wow that is going to be quite a nice kitchen!
Al
Thanks Al, it should help make a few post worth meals for sure!

Awesome love that stove top. Nothing wrong with eggs or ribs.

Warren
thanks Warren! So far the stove top has proven a performer for sure! If you have seen the 100 foot journey movie (awesome movie!) it’s there first bit of and egg omelet and you know a great chef..... you know a good cook top with the first egg cook....lol

Your meal looks tasty! But your kitchen is gonna be spectacular when finished! Love what you have already. Your patience will definitely be rewarding! I bet you've never been so proud of cooking 2 eggs as you were of those

Ryan
Thanks Ryan and you very true! I’ve done my share of wood wood over the years but doing large panel work like this is stressful to say the least. All the grain and color matching of the joints and then the execution and to poly it in a home shop.....I’d say relieved and smiling for sure. I do have 2 more big panels to do but I have my fingers/toes crossed!!!

I agree, love that new stove top and kitchen set-up! I know what you went through with the remodel. We recently bought a new house that needs plenty of updates, including a kitchen!
Thanks yankee! Since it’s been 4 months with no oven, my Why wife realizing she actually has an oven was talking so fast going over her list of things she was going to bake In it was like a kid on Christmas morning!

Kitchen remodels are a test of patience for sure!!!! Can I say that a few more times. We just didn’t expect the old oven to crap out the week after we pulled the trigger........at least the scrap yard will pay for the steel in the old oven.......every little bit helps!

That is going to be a nice kitchen man! Beautiful 6 burner. God I miss gas. Been 5 years without it now. And your boy did a hell of a job on the beef ribs! Good luck with everything!

Can you send me a pic of your finish trim work?
Kitchen's still a mess from yesterday , but here's a couple . You may or may not like it . Pulls together the black appliances .
20201127_064927.jpg
I made the bottom piece . 3/4 with a round over on the front , and a rabbit at the back to fit the bottom rail on the cabinet . Then a small profile on top of that .
20201127_094833.jpg
I have a 3/4 rip of plywood on top to close off the cabinet and act as a solid shelf .
Then ripped a piece of dimension lumber to hide the core .
2 5/8 crown under that .
20201127_103020.jpg

Last edited:
That is amazing already! Looks great, I can't imagine what you've gone through, but well worth it in the end. Your Son did a great job on those Ribs too. Stay safe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky