2019 cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
First yr of really getting into the cheese smoking.
9lb pictured sharp, white and mild cheddar, swiss, pepper jack, mozzarella, gouda dbl smoked. Not counting inside fridge of 4 lb total of Colby, parmesan, chedder and gouda that I smoked month ago that we are eating on now.
20190401_204003.jpg

Reactions: SmokeinNJ
Looks good.

I have about 13 to 14lbs of cheese that I smoked up. It should hold me over until the temps drop down enough to replenish it.

Your vac pack skills are better than mine.

Looks good and should tie you over for a while.

Chris

Looks good. A little secret if you have an Aldi's grocery store near you they have lots of nice cheese's at inexpensive prices. 8 oz blocks (cheddars, swiss and pepper jack) are $1.69.

That is where most of it came from. Frankly I thing it tastes as good as the $3 from ingles

First yr of really getting into the cheese smoking.
9lb pictured sharp, white and mild cheddar, swiss, pepper jack, mozzarella, gouda dbl smoked. Not counting inside fridge of 4 lb total of Colby, parmesan, chedder and gouda that I smoked month ago that we are eating on now.
View attachment 392082

hello , when you say double smoked .. how did you accomplish that one. i mean i just saw this in the store the other day and wow was it ever good stuff.
i mean smoke for awhile and then rest and then smoke again

I believe he means that he bought smoked Gouda. And smoked it again. I've done that with Gouda before as well.

And after a few hours on the smoke and a little rest it tast like $10+ a block cheese.

That's it. Smoke rest or overnight or a couple days and smoke again.

Hmm, I might try that. I thought you were just smoking a already store bought smoked cheese.

Yes it was bought in store labeled "smoked gouda". But I look at it like a store bought ham that has been smoked. Per instructions on this site, I smoke it again and danged if smoked double ham ain't good. Figure the same will apply on cheese.

I've done double smoked hams. They are great. I might just open a packs of cheese and smoke them again. Maybe I'll do a few pieces of Gouda and Muenster.

Reactions: fullborebbq
I've double smoked cheese before. Usually when I pull it to soon. It's best when using a very lite smoke. Also allot of smoked cheese in the main grocers isn't really smoked per-say. They've added liquid smoke to the process.

Chris

I've double smoked cheese before. Usually when I pull it to soon. It's best when using a very lite smoke. Also allot of smoked cheese in the main grocers isn't really smoked per-say. They've added liquid smoke to the process.

Chris
Ive never had the smoked cheese out of the store that tasted smoked. It has color and markings but no flavor

Just an update from the origanal post. Some questions about the dbl smoke gouda. Bought it "smoked" from the store. As stated smoked with the rest and vac sealed. Well just opened a pack and dang it's good. Problem sorta is wife tried it on a grilled cheese sandwich and loved it so I don't see me getting to much of it.

Reactions: gmc2003
Do Y'all put the freshly smoked cheese in your everyday ice box ? When I put it in my icebox even after its vacuum sealed everything in my icebox taste like smoke even the ice cubes in the freezer. The smoke smell is over whelming for a week or two once put in the icebox. I thought about putting a ice box in the garage just for the smoked cheese.

I've done double smoked hams. They are great. I might just open a packs of cheese and smoke them again. Maybe I'll do a few pieces of Gouda and Muenster.
Smoked Muenster is one of the most popular cheeses i sell. I really didn't think much of it when i tried it un-smoked. I now have a new appreciation of it after smoking it. I sell lots of it.

Smoked Muenster is one of the most popular cheeses i sell. I really didn't think much of it when i tried it un-smoked. I now have a new appreciation of it after smoking it. I sell lots of it.

Same here. I didn't rush to the store to get it. Now that I smoked it. I try to have a pound or 2 in fridge all the time.

Reactions: fullborebbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky