2012 Masterbuilt Smokers - NEW 30" & 40" Models!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just received my replacement cabinet, opened the box, and found out there is no control panel.  I received just the cabinet....no door, no wheels, racks, handle, vent, nothing.  Now how the hell can they send me a replacement with no control panel when they know that the last one allowed the heat to get to over 330 degrees and that the control panel went dead?  Also I have to take the entire old unit apart and put in those parts into the new cabinet.  If I was going to build a new smoker I would have.  I will start this next statement with.........IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.... so far the new Masterbuilt 40 product stinks.  Service ain't much better.

I see in the post before this one that the price is $299.98 somewhere.  Right now I wouldn't give you a hundred for a new one.
I can't really say their service stinks or the product, (had mine begin of Jan 2013) since they have been helpful,

although the last attempt for them to replace my control panel they sent me a remote instead. 

Called MB service right away last week and they re-ordered the controller,no mention of backorder.

Called today to find out status and the contol panel is on back-order---Hummm - hopefully this is indication that they are working the issue. 

MB service could not give me an estimated time to replace my controller.

I'm thinking if you give them a call, explain your contol panel issue, they should accomodate additional parts you may require. 

I have the older 30" and the newer 40". I got the 40" from Amazon on sale. It cooks good but the 30" cooks more even overall in my opinion. Plus the 30" you can adjust the temp in 1 degree icrementa, where on the 40" it is 5 degrees at a time...no big deal.. 40 is nice for larger smokes. i like 'em both.

Well, I smoked some chicken tonight to do some more troubleshooting. Unfortunately, using the AMNPS and putting it over the water pan opening (without the water pan) did still cause a 25-30 degree difference from one side of the rack to the other, even with the AMNPS all the way on the left only covering about 2/3 of the opening. Not nearly as much of a temp variation as with the water pan in, butt a 25 degree difference on a long low smoke can certainly screw up half of your food. So, I tried putting it on the bottom left side of the drip pan. This placement did even out the temps again, but it went out at some point due to poor airflow at the bottom (I'm guessing). Also, drippings fell on the right side of it and basically disintegrated the wood pellets.

At this point, I'm somewhat at a loss on what to do with this thing. The water pan and "interior" light are completely useless. You can't feed wood chips into the side without the temp jumping 30 degrees (or more with a flare up), and having to do so every 45 minutes. You can use an AMNPS with it, but it either blocks the heat and causes temperature variations from one side to the other, or it won't stay lit on the bottom due to poor circulation or drippings falling on it. I really want to get this thing working properly to where I can trust it, so I'm open to suggestions from anyone that's had any luck with it. In the meantime, I'm saving the box it came in.
I put the AMPS on the bottom left....pull out the smoker tray, remove the loader tube., remove the drip pan., open vent wide open...It burns just fine. ya gotta let the moisture out. just use the lectric to control the temp.. Works for me.

I can't really say their service stinks or the product, (had mine begin of Jan 2013) since they have been helpful,

although the last attempt for them to replace my control panel they sent me a remote instead. 

Called MB service right away last week and they re-ordered the controller,no mention of backorder.

Called today to find out status and the contol panel is on back-order---Hummm - hopefully this is indication that they are working the issue. 

MB service could not give me an estimated time to replace my controller.

I'm thinking if you give them a call, explain your contol panel issue, they should accomodate additional parts you may require. 
Hey New Haven,

Wallingford here.  They knew the problem I had with overheating from a bad (and then dead) controller two weeks ago.  Have we become so used to mediocre quality that we are accepting that we have to stock parts for a new piece of equipment?  And then we have to strip parts off of old units to fix new ones?  These are BRAND NEW cookers we are talking about here.  A few weeks old.  Bought and paid for with hard earned cash.  And it's not like this is their first time out with these things.  They have produced smokers for quite a few years now.  I actually had one and loved it!  Right now I'd trade all this pile of useless crap I got from them lately for my old unit in a heartbeat. 

PS      Because they have a back order on the controller doesn't necessarily mean they are working out bugs.............  how about this scenario instead?  They have so many problems with changing them out that they can't keep up with demand.  I mean it's nice that they have been "helpful" to you.  But do we have working smokers right now?  Or even a promise of when we will have one? 

Last edited:
OK... I have been trying to follow this thread but it is so long. I am in the market for a Masterbuilt 40. What is the recommendation the older generation or the new generation and why. Appreciate any and all feedback. Best place to buy is also appreciated.

OK... I have been trying to follow this thread but it is so long. I am in the market for a Masterbuilt 40. What is the recommendation the older generation or the new generation and why. Appreciate any and all feedback. Best place to buy is also appreciated.

I have a 1 year old MES40 20070311 it is last generation and all Stainless Steel. While they are hot and cold on issues, owners seem to have less issues than those with the new generation. They are getting hard to find but the 30" is still available...JJ

JimmyB,

See my post #364.  If you find the gen 1 40 model with the 1200 watt element somewhere let me know.  I'll do the same for you cause I've had it with the thing I've got now. 

I put the AMPS on the bottom left....pull out the smoker tray, remove the loader tube., remove the drip pan., open vent wide open...It burns just fine. ya gotta let the moisture out. just use the lectric to control the temp.. Works for me.

With the drip/water pan removed, how do you keep drippings from getting on the AMNPS? Foil drip pan on rack 1? Now that I've gotten the temp regulated decently in the smoker, I just need to figure out how to keep the AMNPS lit at the same time. I'm about to hit Home Depot to make a damper extension to try along with pulling out the loading tube. Also, do you pull out the tube completely, or just leave a 3/4" gap as mentioned before on here?

Hey New Haven,

Wallingford here.  They knew the problem I had with overheating from a bad (and then dead) controller two weeks ago.  Have we become so used to mediocre quality that we are accepting that we have to stock parts for a new piece of equipment?  And then we have to strip parts off of old units to fix new ones?  These are BRAND NEW cookers we are talking about here.  A few weeks old.  Bought and paid for with hard earned cash.  And it's not like this is their first time out with these things.  They have produced smokers for quite a few years now.  I actually had one and loved it!  Right now I'd trade all this pile of useless crap I got from them lately for my old unit in a heartbeat. 

PS      Because they have a back order on the controller doesn't necessarily mean they are working out bugs.............  how about this scenario instead?  They have so many problems with changing them out that they can't keep up with demand.  I mean it's nice that they have been "helpful" to you.  But do we have working smokers right now?  Or even a promise of when we will have one? 

Wallingford, I don't disagree. I was not expecting such issues either on a brand new unit, but i had read the threads and expected some issues. I bought mine from local Sam"s in West Haven so if i don't get issues resolved I'll bring it back for refund.
True though days where we expect a decent durable working product need to be restored. AND that's probably why we see so many places not survive regardless the business. Happy Smokin if figure something out locally I'll let you know... Tino

Wallingford, I don't disagree. I was not expecting such issues either on a brand new unit, but i had read the threads and expected some issues. I bought mine from local Sam"s in West Haven so if i don't get issues resolved I'll bring it back for refund.
True though days where we expect a decent durable working product need to be restored. AND that's probably why we see so many places not survive regardless the business. Happy Smokin if figure something out locally I'll let you know... Tino[/quote
Tino
Called mb service today and the girl apologized and said she would expedite a new controller and I would have it by Friday. No mention of backorder unless she forgot to mention it. Hope all is well and stay safe....that town is getting a bit rough. Going to modern pizza tonite in your city for a treat. Take care.

True though days where we expect a decent durable working product need to be restored. AND that's probably why we see so many places not survive regardless the business. Happy Smokin if figure something out locally I'll let you know... Tino[/quote
Tino
Called mb service today and the girl apologized and said she would expedite a new controller and I would have it by Friday. No mention of backorder unless she forgot to mention it. Hope all is well and stay safe....that town is getting a bit rough. Going to modern pizza tonite in your city for a treat. Take care.

I have both the old MES 40" and the new 2012 MES 40". Going on about three months with the new unit. Had to have a replacement left foot and plastic sure handle shipped as mine mysteriously cracked. Other than the cosmetic things I've been pretty pleased so far. However when I first got the unit i was a bit disappointed by the size of the new water pan. No matter what I do, when i do a big smoke (4+ butts) it's a pain in the rear to keep the drip pan under the unit from overflowing and causing a huge mess. I had an idea today though since I run a kitchen as I was organizing some shelves. I grabbed a 2qt. Stainless hotel pan and brought it home with me. Low and behold! It slid right in! I'll give it a try tonight, but I think it will work great since i never have enough droppings with the stock water pan anyways.
eru8ybys.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S3 SS Odexed Blue using Tapatalk 2

Great idea, I tried a 6 pan (I think in kitchen speak, this the next size smaller), to attempt allowing for more convection (more opening), instead of removing drip pan altogether but would not fit, must be the "long" end.

Tino

I'm betting you'll get a new remote control now. :D

I hope not, but the way things have been going...

Phoned in.

I'm betting you'll get a new remote control now. :D

I hope not, but the way things have been going...

Phoned in.

Called MB with another question, and then also asked about controller back order. Response was they expect me to get one next week. Hoping geerock gets his today.

I have a 1 year old MES40 20070311 it is last generation and all Stainless Steel. While they are hot and cold on issues, owners seem to have less issues than those with the new generation. They are getting hard to find but the 30" is still available...JJ
I have a new 40" and one of the old 30"s. In my opinion the 30" cooks very even., much better than the 40.

It seems the 2012 has been pulled from my Sams as someone else mentioned. Looks like a full product recall. Probably why people are having issues with backordered parts. Hopefully MB gets it figured out and puts them back on the shelves soon. Tax return coming up and I was hoping to get one. Would be nice to not have the temp issues.

Did four butts yesterday with the larger water pan and it worked great. I filled it to about the same amount as the stock one and it only filled up to within two inches of the rim with drippings. Temps seemed a little more consistent, I ran at 222-225F all night long with my maverick ET-73. You can pick up the pan I used at any restaurant supply store, cheap especially if you find a used one on the shelf.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky