1st Yoder smoke/ Tri Tip (Q-View)

Discussion in 'Beef' started by bigkvn1, Jan 16, 2011.

1. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

Since I'm in Cali, we eat tri-tip weekly.  Seeing its Sunday and I still have the afternoon left, I'm gonna throw down on the Yoders' maiden voyage.  Not only the Yoders first somke but mine aswell!  I've literally grilled hundreds of them over the yrs.  I have a couple ET-73s so I'm good on temperature regulation.  Wish me luck! 

Kevin

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. big bad rog

big bad rog Fire Starter

I'd like to know how those tri-tips turn out; one of my favorite cuts, hands down. Let me know what sort of times you run  and try to throw up some q-view. Good Luck Kevin!

3. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

I have two 3.5 lbrs

Started the box w/ a chimney full of Royal Oak, and I'll be burning splits of almond for the cook. 

I scored the cap and left it on.  Rubbed w/ mustard and Spade-L-Ranch.  Basically salt, pepper, garlic, and a few simple herbs and spices. 

Stabilizing smoker temps now, should be on in 20 min or so....

4. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

So where is the qview? I have one on right now too with a pan of beef broth filled with onions sitting under it - will try to post later with it is done

5. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

Taking pics along the way. One hour in now.  I'll put everything up in a day or so:)  

6. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I love a good tri Tip. Cant wait to see the results.  What part of Cali are you in?

7. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

They turned out great fellas! They took 2 hours to reach 142-143ish.  Put them in at 1715, pulled off to sear at 1915.  Fed the Yoder splits of almond 2 or 3 times to keep the temps at a steady 225-250f.  I then did a quick sear on my gas grill for just a couple minuets on each side.  Wrapped tthem in foil and a towl, then put in a cooler for about 45 minuets while the potatoes finished in the oven.  I also served some fresh green beans.  Tips came out a perfect med/ med rare.  Great first smoke and the wife was impressed! 

Kevin

8. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Well I'm glad to hear that your food came out really good. I would much rather be looking at it and I know that you want to show us all. I have always used the copy and paste method and it wooks just fine to me. I use photobucket for my photos.  

9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

You gotta upload the pics. They have a saying around here something like " If there's no Qview it didn't happen"   [​IMG]    Really all you have to do is click on the insert image icon at the top of the text box,. choose the file on your computer (mine are in my pictures) & click submit. Hope you get it fixed, I would like to see those bad boys.

10. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

[​IMG]

All I can see is a red X when I try to upload as described.  Heres an attempt anyways.  Rubbed and ready for the smoker... 

11. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

I know... Trying that a few different ways:(  Now iting the post is being held for moderation because I'm new???   

12. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

[​IMG]

14. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

[​IMG]

15. bigkvn1

bigkvn1 Fire Starter

Enjoy!

16. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

ATTA BOY!! [​IMG]

Looks great!! Love tri-tip!!

17. porked

porked Smoking Fanatic

Man that looks good.

18. That beef looks delicious.

19. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great. I wish I could get Tri Tip around here for a reasonable price. There are only a few places that even have it on a regular basis.

20. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great. I have 2 tri tips to do today. Cant wait.