1st Yoder smoke/ Tri Tip (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigkvn1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
California
Since I'm in Cali, we eat tri-tip weekly.  Seeing its Sunday and I still have the afternoon left, I'm gonna throw down on the Yoders' maiden voyage.  Not only the Yoders first somke but mine aswell!  I've literally grilled hundreds of them over the yrs.  I have a couple ET-73s so I'm good on temperature regulation.  Wish me luck! 

Kevin

Last edited:
I'd like to know how those tri-tips turn out; one of my favorite cuts, hands down. Let me know what sort of times you run  and try to throw up some q-view. Good Luck Kevin!

I have two 3.5 lbrs

Started the box w/ a chimney full of Royal Oak, and I'll be burning splits of almond for the cook. 

I scored the cap and left it on.  Rubbed w/ mustard and Spade-L-Ranch.  Basically salt, pepper, garlic, and a few simple herbs and spices. 

Stabilizing smoker temps now, should be on in 20 min or so....

So where is the qview? I have one on right now too with a pan of beef broth filled with onions sitting under it - will try to post later with it is done

Taking pics along the way. One hour in now.  I'll put everything up in a day or so:)  

I love a good tri Tip. Cant wait to see the results.  What part of Cali are you in?

They turned out great fellas! They took 2 hours to reach 142-143ish.  Put them in at 1715, pulled off to sear at 1915.  Fed the Yoder splits of almond 2 or 3 times to keep the temps at a steady 225-250f.  I then did a quick sear on my gas grill for just a couple minuets on each side.  Wrapped tthem in foil and a towl, then put in a cooler for about 45 minuets while the potatoes finished in the oven.  I also served some fresh green beans.  Tips came out a perfect med/ med rare.  Great first smoke and the wife was impressed! 

Kevin

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Well I'm glad to hear that your food came out really good. I would much rather be looking at it and I know that you want to show us all. I have always used the copy and paste method and it wooks just fine to me. I use photobucket for my photos.  

You gotta upload the pics. They have a saying around here something like " If there's no Qview it didn't happen"   
icon_rolleyes.gif
   Really all you have to do is click on the insert image icon at the top of the text box,. choose the file on your computer (mine are in my pictures) & click submit. Hope you get it fixed, I would like to see those bad boys.

All I can see is a red X when I try to upload as described.  Heres an attempt anyways.  Rubbed and ready for the smoker... 

You gotta upload the pics. They have a saying around here something like " If there's no Qview it didn't happen"   
icon_rolleyes.gif
   Really all you have to do is click on the insert image icon at the top of the text box,. choose the file on your computer (mine are in my pictures) & click submit. Hope you get it fixed, I would like to see those bad boys.
I know... Trying that a few different ways:(  Now iting the post is being held for moderation because I'm new???   

Looks great. I have 2 tri tips to do today. Cant wait.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky