1st UDS Build. Have Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dvdubbs

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Wayne, NJ
Hi everyone. I have a food grade drum with the tan lining. A couple questions regarding this liner...

1 - should I get it sandblasted off?
2 - does it NEED to be removed?
3 - instead of removing the liner, can I spray the inside with the high temp bbq paint that I was going to use on the outside, or is that only if I want my food to taste like paint?

I just spent an hour wire wheeling this barrel, only to be successful in a small area. At this rate, I feel it will take me a day and a half, 50 wheels and cause tendonitis in my shoulder

It does need to come off.

Sandblast is the easiest.

Most burn it out then sand the rest out.

Yes you need to remove the liner. No you shouldn't paint the inside. I had mine sand blasted inside and out and powder coated the exterior only. Total cost to have the powder coat shop do this was $75. If I had them only sand blast it would have been $25. If you go the sand blast route there is no need to burn out the barrel first.

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky