1st time trailer RF build-150 gallon tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
X2 on Weedeater's suggestion for slides, especially if your going with upper and lower grates.  Reaching to the back of a 24" smoker trying to get some meat out, all the while avoiding the upper grate would be a pain.  Make life simpler, slides.  The only time my upper grate comes out is when I'm doing turkeys or beer can chickens, because they are too tall.  I spaced mine out 5 1/2" between the 2 grates, this gives plenty of room for even the largest of briskets, butts and even whole shoulders.   Your door appears to be larger and cut higher than mine, so you might be able to spread them out a bit more.

Last edited:
installing RF plate. 25" wide

ran the numbers and i need 163 sq in.

8" segment should do it. i made it 8 1/4" to insure go flow

Anybody want to double check those numbers please?

plus i am gonna have cut the corner down to fit it the CC. just gonna give it slight arc to match tank curve

raining this morning, hoping to put it tonight!

Got my FB! 2'x2'

Got inside and out of CC cleaned up. Glad to get that dirty job behind me.

Heading to tomorrow to look at 3 trailers. I had one, but figured out it'd cost me more to get it up to par than buy a new one. He's also got the 6" smoke stack that i've been looking for. Not against getting new material but sure works the budget better for free stuff! hoping he'll let me look around for odds and ends.

What did you use to clean the tank?

Just as a point of reference in case you need to make an offer on the 6", I bought as piece of 6" schedule 40 last week for $11/foot new.

i used a 80 grit blender wheel. pretty smooth finish. found them for $2 wheel at a discount tool place and it only took 2. thanks for the pricing info. i've been trying to go to metal shops with knowledge.

I noticed in your pictures that the trees are green.  I live in Wisconsin and we are getting snow right now.  Everything here is just a different shade of gray, makes me want to puke.  I miss the green!  AND, I want to move, damn it!!!

Have fun with your build!

i was born and raised in Indiana. i don't miss it! my buddy moved to green bay last summer and i haven't let him forget it. i'm in shorts, you guys are in snow!

thanks!

looks good so far i see a great smoker in the works i will be ,
lurk.gif

happy smoken.

david

way good to be the Dawg today! a lot of things came together.

hinges made and doors on, grates built and installed, baffle drain ran, rear jack installed.

hoping to tackle chimney tomorrow along with FB latches

i have 2 6" air intakes on order and still debating location, other than that, i'm getting close. came up with a CC door handle idea i was digging.

thanks for everybody's input and help, keep it coming!

Erin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky