1st smoked Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This past weekend I smoked my 1st Turkey. My Daughter and her husband are hoisting Thanksgiving this year in their new home and asked me if I could bring a smoked bird to add to their oven baked Turkey to the table this year. So since I have never done one before I figured I need to do a test bird. Picked up a 12 pounder. Did a 48hr brine with Meat church poultry bath added one full cup of apple Bourbon whiskey to the mix. When it was time to get him out I rinsed him off padded him super dry with paper towels put him on a rack and in the refrigerator for four hours to tighten the skin up. When it was time for the rub I sprayed him down with canola oil and then used Jeff’s Texas rub all over with a light dusting of whiskey Bent the bird rub. Turkey went on my Oklahoma Joe using hickory and applewood keeping it at 225 after two hours I basted with unsalted butter and crushed garlic And every hour there after. When internal temperature reach 150 I increased my cooking temperature to 300 at 167 I pulled him off and let it rest for 20min when it was time to slice him open it was so juicy and delicious. I am now waiting for Thanksgiving to come. I think everyone will enjoy it.
View attachment 512676
That looks wondermous. Ifyou don't mind me asking, how was the skin? I looks great. The missus loves my yardbird for processing for stews and the like, but I never get good crunchy skin like air frying or other methods.

Reactions: Stingh2
The skin was delicious with a nice bite. Not chewy at all. That’s why I increased my temp towards the end of the cook.😃👍

Reactions: fxsales1959
You know whats bad about doing it perfect on your first attempt? You've got to do it again. LOL
Great looking bird.
Remember to keep the carcuse with a little meat on it, makes wonderful smoked turkey gumbo!
Then is it double smoked ham for Christmas? You know once you've done 'em it'll be your yearly contribution. LOL
Again great job.

Hey that looks awesome! Just wondering how it turned out and how did the family like it? Any leftovers? We just celebrated on Monday with a smoked turkey as well, they are so good! How long did that 12 pounder take? S Stingh2
Since it was just a test cook only my Wife and I had it. She made Turkey soup with the leftovers. It took about 6hrs to cook.😃

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky