1st Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lt

Original poster
Hey guys!

I want to start my first batch of ribs in the GOSM. Do I need to dry rub first and must the ribs sit in the dry rub overnight before I Q em up? I will be trying the 3-2-1 method as I've read lots of good about it and I think I can handle it for the 1st time being a smoker virgin, ha. Also why the water in the bowl in the smoker? I thought for good smoke you don't want the moisture floating around in there. What is this skin or lining stuff the guys are mentioning they cut off the ribs before they dry rub or brine up. Is dry rub the same as brine?

LT

Hey LT,

Good questions. I usually put the rub on the night before the rib smoke and let them sit wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge. The water in the GOSM is more of a thermal buffer or regulator. It helps keep the heat in after you open the door to add wood or spray or mop your meat, so the smoker does not lose all the heat. It does not really add moisture to the meat, or affect the smoke. As far as removing the membrane, that is recommended so the rub can get to both sides of the meat. Here is a link to a good pictorial on trimming ribs.

http://www.bbq-book.com/ribs/index.html

Dry rub is just that, a combination of dry spices. A brine is salt and water an spices that the meat is soaked in for at least 12 hours. I put rubs on most of my meats and brine poultry.

Here is a link to download my Pork Rub: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/download.php?id=582

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out. We love pictures.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

LT, I like to do a double rub on my ribs and butts. Apply the first rub and allow the juices in the meat to "wet" the rub (rub will become moist). Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight. Remove from fridge and remove the plastic wrap and apply another coat of rub. Let the ribs sit while you get the smoker ready. When smoker reaches temp, place ribs in smoker bone side down and follow your baste/mop routine.

Wow!!
My first ribs were awsome, everyone loved em! It took a little longer than norm due to it was -21 degrees Celcius outside that day but they were very good. Going to do chicken next.
LT

Hey LT,
Welcome aboard, glad to hear you made out OK. You can't go wrong with the advice you will get here on this forum, everyone is very friendly and helpfull. Where abouts are you in the Okanagan? I'm in Vancouver, but have family in the interior. Make sure you take advantage of all the orchards around, most are willing to part with their cuttings after they have done their pruning. You can't beat fruit wood for the smoker, especially apple and cherry, but peach works as well. I stop and ask everytime I'm up there and stock up the truck whenever I can.

Hey Ron, the dreaded double tap happens every now and again. Not to worry, I'll just push the magic moderator button and make the second entry disappear. :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky