1st packer brisket w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cripplecreek

Fire Starter
Original poster
I put a 14 # brisket at 11:00 p Saturday nite after LSU game.  I rubbed it down with Jeff's Rub and smoked it in an aluminum broiler pan using a small chunk of mesquite, then switched to hickory for the rest of the smoke.  Kept temps from 220-235.  I never opened the smoker lid until 6:30 a.m. when the IT hit 155. I'm ready for a nap by now so I went ahead a foiled it with the probe still in it and put in the kitchen oven at 220 and ran my probe wire through oven door, set the et-73 for 205 IT and went to bed.  It finally hit 205 at 3:30 p.m.  So after 7.5 hrs. in smoke, 9 hrs. foiled, (16.5 hrs total at 220) and 3 hrs in cooler here are the results...

The flat was a little dry (should I have taken it out at 190 or so?) but very tender and flavorfull.  It was falling apart when I tried to move from one dish to another.  I aparently lost my bark by foiling and cooking for 9 hrs. When separating the point from the flat the point fell apart so I just pulled it for sandwiches. It was very moist.  More fat on that end I guess. Lots of drippings for au jus. 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

d8e14aee_DSC03186.jpg
38a0bec7_DSC03187.jpg

Man, you can tell how tender that thing is.  It looks like it's ready to crumble if you breathe on it... lol.  You may have preserved a little more moisture if you had pulled at 190, but it's hard to say.  Every brisket is different, and I have come to accept the fact that some just turn out better than others.  They are all good, but some are exceptional.  Good call on pulling the point.  I bet those were some fine sandwiches. 

Good job and Geaux Tigers.

S2G

I have started to check it when it hits 190°, by poking it with either a probe thermometer or a butter knife. When it slides in like a cube of room temp. butter I pull it off and rest it.

Looks good. Great job on an all-nighter.

It does look like you over-cooked it just a tad. The point should still be fairly ridgid when the flat is done, this why it it usually chopped into burnt ends. I personally don't like to foil briskets but rather leave them in the smoke to develop the crustiest bark it can make. You probably did soften up the bark in the foil.

What type of smoker are ya using and were ya using?

Thanks pit4brains,  I smoke on a homemade 40"smoker w/20" offset firebox. Maintaining temp control is getting easier but i'm still not comfortable unless I check it every couple of hrs.  I used charcoal with one small chunk of mesquite initially and hickory for the rest of the smoke.  I figured I could have a good bark or a little sleep.  I opted for the sleep. What IT do you generally take your brisket to to get a firm point and a moist flat?

icon_cool.gif

Your brisket looks pretty good to me. But I'm with Pete on this one to it does look alittle over done but you can fix that by putting some of the liquid that you got from the foiling back into the meat and that will bring it back some.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky