1st crack at wings on the WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mattyt7

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
852451EA-ADF4-4EC7-9BD3-2ED4544C3339.jpeg
FA9B91A3-4521-4DC7-B7F1-82F2572E1E51.jpeg
8EA64DA9-C1BB-4EC8-9D2C-CE37EDEA9918.jpeg
My son was sick today so I had to stay home with him. I decided since I didn’t get a chance to smoke anything over the weekend, that I’d give some wings a try on the WSM I’ve been learning over the last couple months.

As this was last minute, I decided to just work with what I had as far as rub/sauce (I’m not big on buffalo sauce or “hot” wings anyway). I went with a combo of homemade creole and all purpose bbq rubs that I had and plan on coating them in some kc masterpiece once they’re almost done before I finish them over the coals to crisp up the skin. I’m going to cook them at 275 (mostly because I still need some practice controlling temps, even though I know higher temps would work better on the skin) for about 1-1.5 hours.

Here’s some pics, because without them it didn’t happen, of the wings rubbed and on the grill, and some TBS rolling. I’ll follow up once they’re done and let you know how they turned out!

6781D897-7378-47A0-AAA6-6D4BFC5AB7D9.jpeg
1B5D8C8C-C0FD-4968-82C5-FDF6DBBB6AEA.jpeg
4AAC132C-9F3C-4D64-8AF0-7324A3DE30C1.jpeg
The wings came out AWESOME! I was pleasantly surprised at how well they came out and how easy it was. They were in the smoke for about an hour before I checked them. They had pretty good color by then, so I moved them over to the hot grill. I ended up leaving a handful unsauced for comparison. I also decided to finish them on the gasser instead of over the coals since I had loaded up the coal ring pretty full when I started and didn’t want to let so much charcoal get going while I had the mid section and lid off.

Thanks for looking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky