1st cook on new Santa Maria grill - medium rare chuck roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
I had a chuck roast in the fridge that I was gonna smoke for the weekend.
A new toy showed up, so a change of plans.
Most people don't think about grilling a chuck roast.
It's a little more chewy than ribeye or strip steaks, but is still tender and has excellent flavor.
You can marinate and then baste while cooking, or dry brine and apply rub as done here.

Sunterra 36" Santa Maria grill.

IMG_7773 (1).jpeg

Seasoned grates and getting ready for 1st cook.
Thick 3.5 lb chuck roast, dry brine for 24 hours, then my chile beef rub (no salt).

P1040213.jpeg

Start fire with chimney of lump charcoal, then add a few small logs of red oak.

P1040214.jpeg

Cooked for 3 hours at 250-350 F.

P1040230.jpeg

Pulled at IT = 130+

P1040234.jpeg

Sliced and ready to eat.

P1040241 (1).jpeg

Can't forget the bone.

P1040244.jpeg

Last edited:
That chuck roast looks superb...and somebody seems to be enjoying it :emoji_wink: Very nice cook.

Sunterra 36" Santa Maria grill.
That's the exact same unit I used to have. Those things are built rock solid!! Nice cooker. I fabricated a rotisserie for mine and that was a blast to cook on.

Robert

That's the exact same unit I used to have. Those things are built rock solid!! Nice cooker.

Robert
Yea, like 450 lbs solid.
It took 2 neighbors help, and removing all the firebricks, to manage it up the steps.

Wow! That is special! Awesome break in cook on an incredible new rig! I really want a Santa Maria Grill bad, but need to wait a bit. Congrats and well done!

Chuck roast at 130??? I’ve never thought it would be goos there. Mind blown. Was it chewy? I love the idea but so many questions!

Chuck roast at 130??? I’ve never thought it would be goos there. Mind blown. Was it chewy? I love the idea but so many questions!
I think it's best at 135-140, but my wife likes it more rare so 130-135 it is.
Also I think arm roasts work a little better than chucks, which have more collagen and fat.
But yes, cooking it slow over medium-low heat works well (think indirect heat).
It can be a little chewy in places, like where there is silver skin separating the different muscle sections. But the flavor is great.
I was skeptical at first too until I tried it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky