1st Comp of the season

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poobah18

Original poster
May 31, 2017
New Hampshire
SuWheeQ is headed out this weekend for our first comp of the season. Nor'easter BBQ comp. day 2 in Plymouth MA. All in all we will be doing 5 this year up from 2 last year. Goal is to be overall better and climb out way up. Anyone in the area feel free to say hi, just don't mind if we are grouchy and stressed if its Sunday morning. lol

Joe

Good cook and good luck!

I have a competition question maybe you can answer.

I heard that separating the muscle groups on pork butt before cooking is verboten but you can separate the point from the flat on brisket cooks.

Is that correct?

Thanks...

JC

Good cook and good luck!

I have a competition question maybe you can answer.

I heard that separating the muscle groups on pork butt before cooking is verboten but you can separate the point from the flat on brisket cooks.

Is that correct?

Thanks...

JC
It's been awhile since I read up on the KCBS rules but separating the muscles on pork is not what is not allowed...it is a matter of the total weight of the individual piece of meat being smoked for judging...
If memory serves, for pork butt, the minimum starting weight of the piece being smoked must be a minimum of seven (7) pounds...when you seperate the muscles (I believe you're probably thinking about separating the "money muscle") the individual pieces don't weigh seven pounds...most brisket flats will weigh the minimum with the point removed.
I'm not 100% positive but that is how it was explained to me some years back .
Walt.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky