1st cheese smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nabo4u

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Miami, fl
So this week the weather was low enough in south Florida that I was inspired to cold smoke some cheeses. So I got extra sharp cheddar, Brie, Colby Jack, Monterey Jack with jalapeños, and fresh mozzarella
hu8ajuga.jpg

I fired up the AMZNPS with some cherry pellets. I then placed the cheeses, the AMZNPS, and a big bowl of ice in my MES.
apuna8en.jpg

This was my second use of the AMZNPS. When I checked up on it 20 minutes into the smoke, I realized that it had extinguished. I took it out, torched the heck out of it, and waited 10 minutes. It worked.
I took the cheese out after 2 hours and this is what I got.
yhedyhyr.jpg

I then vacuum sealed everything but the mozzarella.
u9eru7eh.jpg

I'll wait a couple of weeks before I try the vacuum sealed cheeses. I'll try the mozzarella tomorrow. I'm not overly confident on my procedure, but hey, I'll report back after the tasting.

Looks great!  You will notice how it infuses into the cheese itself and makes it soooo yummy!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I can't wait to try them. I tried smoking cheese once a couple of years ago when I first got my MES. It was a total disaster. The cheese didn't completely melt, but it did look like a hot mess. Also, I didn't know about the mellowing out period. When my wife and I took our first bites..... Well let's just say I never thought I'd smoke cheese again.
So I'll wait a couple of weeks this time, hard as it may be. Oh I forgot, I did taste the mozzarella a couple of days after the smoke. I served it to some friends in a caprese salad. Everyone liked it. You could definitely taste the smoke, but it wasn't over the top.

Thanks for the post. I have been wanting to smoke some cheese for quite a while. I has finally cooled down outside so that I can do it and your post just put me in the mood. I have an AMAZNPS so I'll get some cheese and give it a try. I look forward to hearing about your results and perhaps which cheese you liked best.

Nice - melting what part of the country you in?? High here today was 40ish I think I may have to heat up my smoker some just so the smoke will penetrate a little better

good luck and let us know.

Steve

I'm in Miami, Fl. I was fortunate that it got cold enough last week so that I could do the smoke. It's back up to 80 degrees during the day now and mid 70's at night. I'll be opening the cheeses up in a couple of weeks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky