• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

1st attempt snack sticks and summer sausage....SUCCESS!....IMO

ts12

Joined Oct 18, 2016
Well, my wife was out of town all weekend so I decided it would be a good time for a 1st attempt at making some sticks and SS. I'll do my best to document what I did....or maybe should have done ...

15lbs total....10lbs ground beef 80/20 mixed with 5 lbs pork shoulder roast ground with KA....split meat into 3 each 5 lbs batches.

All 3 batches use AC Leggs 116 mix with 1 tsp cure #1 per 5lbs as the base spice mix.

Batch 1 (sweet slim jims) courtesy of nepas...
Add to base mix
1 TBS course ground black pepper
1/2 cup honey
I added 1/2 cup water to spice mix, then mixed into meat. Then added honey and mixed again to a very sticky mixture. Refrigerate 24 hrs.
Stuff in 21mm collagen casings

Batch 2 (spicy slim jims) courtesy of gary s (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/244854/jalapeno-snack-sticks)
Add to base mix
4 – Heaping Tablespoons of Chopped Jalapenos (in a jar)
½ cup of Brown Sugar...(I dropped this to 1/4 cup as I didn't want them too sweet.)
¼ cup Teriyaki sauce
1 Tablespoon of Red Pepper flakes
About a cup of water, Mixed everything in the water then into the meat. Put in fridge till tomorrow.
Stuff in 21mm collagen casings

Batch 3 (garlic Parmesan summer sausage)
Add to base mix
1 TBS garlic paste
1 TBS chopped parsley (freeze dried as I didn't have fresh)
1/2 cup Saco buttermilk powder
1/2 cup (heaping) cubed Parmesan cheese (I bought a wedge from grocery store and cubed 3/16-1/4 in or as best I could)...probably could have used a little more cheese.
Mix all ingredients with 1 c water except cheese. Mix spices into meat, then mix in cheese. Refrigerate 24 hours.
Stuff into 1-1/2"x12" fibrous casings.

Smoking with MES30 Gen 1....yes it's still going after +/- 10 yrs, although it gave me fits this weekend and absolutely ZERO sleep. Smoking was done in 2 batches from about noon Sat to 6 am (or so) Sun. I can't remember finish time as I think I was a zombie by then. I realize that I planned very poorly with a noon start, but originally I was going to save the second round for Sunday. No idea why I changed my mind ...huge mistake though :hit:

1. 130 for 2 hrs no smoke to dry casings
2. 140 for 1.5-2 hrs smoke
3. 150 for 2 hrs smoke
4. 160 for 2-3 hrs (smoke opt) check meat IT here
5. Increase smoke temp to 170* (opt smoke) Until IT 152 deg

Attempted to not exceed 170, but MES was acting wacky. I was constantly adjusting temps :mad: (on the second batch only...1st batch the MES was acting "normal")

I finished the Summer sausage in a 165 deg hot water bath due to IT stalling around 145deg. I could have left in the smoker longer I guess, but I was exhausted and wanted to be done.

All batches went into cold water bath at 152 deg IT. Then rest on counter for a few hours to dry. Will refrigerate in paper bag for 2-3 days then vac seal and freeze, if any is left by then.

Batch 3, 2, 1 ...left to right

Garlic Parmesan SS

Sweet batch on top..more red in color. Spicy ones on bottom.

Spicy sticks ready for fridge and my belly :biggrin:

Sweet sticks and SS

Money shot......

Dinner with some left over spicy mix ...:cheers:

My observations:
All 3 batches taste very good IMO. i don't think anything needs drastic changes, but maybe I'll tweak a little for next time. I doubt I would change anything in the sweet, unless you want more heat, but it is very good as is (thanks to nepas). I may consider more jalapeño in the spicy mix next time and/or perhaps some cheese, but still good as is.

The summer sausage I am happy with the taste. I think it could use a little more cheese. Is there a typical amount of cheese per 5 lbs of meat? Also, I was hoping for a little drier SS. Perhaps it will be better after a few days in the fridge, but would the buttermilk power contribute to moisture retention? Or cut water a little?

Any feedback or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Thanks,
Tim

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Wow! For a first it looks like you did really well! The process and smoke sound really good as well.

For the cheese amount, I go 5-10% depending upon my audience. Me and the boys like a little cheese, a lot of my family loves it cheesy.

ts12

Joined Oct 18, 2016
Thanks CB! I've been studying this site for the last few weeks preparing. Great info thanks to you folks.

I just double checked my math too, and I was right at 5% on the cheese. Adding a little more should get me where I would like it. Thanks again!

Last edited:

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Thanks CB! I've been studying this site for the last few weeks preparing. Great info thanks to you folks.

I just double checked my math too, and I was right at 5% on the cheese. Adding a little more should get me where I would like it. Thanks again!
On this site is a wealth of knowledge. When it comes to sausage and sticks, nepas and boykjo are hard to beat knowledge wise!

Welcome to the madness and I look forward to more from you soon!

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Looks mighty fine.

The AC 116 is good mix.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Those are some good looking sticks!

Nice job!

Al

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
Ts, nice job,everything looks excellent !

driedstick

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2011
Dang it man that looks good,,, I have the garlic Parmasen mix also,,, been wanting to do snack stick with it sounds goooooood,,, 

Nice job

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.