1st attempt Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shakyleg

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Texas
First off I will say if not for this forum I don't think I would have known what to do! I have been smoking meat for many years and truly enjoy trying new things.

This time my new "thing" was to process and prepare my own venison into 1. Pan sausage, 2. Link sausage and 3. Jerky.

The pan sausage was the first thing I made. 10lbs of probably the best pan sausage I have ever had. Everyone who tried it couldn't believe I actually did the entire process myself.

The second thing I made was the link sausage. It turned out absolutely amazing. I took a few links to every destination we had for Christmas and again nobody wanted to believe I made it.

The jerky was the final thing I made on Christmas Day and it was just as good as any beef jerky I have ever made if not better.

I couldn't have done it if not for this amazing site. So many hours of researching threads and finding the "do's and don'ts" resulted in absolute perfection. Especially considering it was my first attempt.

Well, now that you are a member of the forum, you are adding to the great information! I also hate to be the one to tell you, you are now addicted to sausage making.

Disco

Thanks everyone. I am already addicted. My only challenge now is to not get fat eating all this good food.

Great looking sausage!

That stuff that drips off the food while smoking and drips into the pan or to the bottom of the smoker, that's all those calories you are worrying about. Look at all of us, just proves the point.

LOL... Congrats on your sausage.

Reactions: shakyleg
The first time you work with natural casings it's a bit strange to envision how it all will comes together, but then as you start filling, it just all seems so easy - especially if you get yourself a foot pedal for your grinder.  Nice work!  Looks great! 

The first time you work with natural casings it's a bit strange to envision how it all will comes together, but then as you start filling, it just all seems so easy - especially if you get yourself a foot pedal for your grinder.  Nice work!  Looks great! 
Its better if you don't think about what was in those casing before..... LOL

great job and many more to come!

now you are going to have a real problem on your hands (so many recipes, so little time) !

start a log now and hang on. congratulations.

ed

What are you referring to as "pan sausage"; is that like a breakfast sausage? If so, you are going to have to share your recipe. I have always been scared to try venison as breakfast sausage.

And did you use your smoker for the jerky, or a dehydrator, or both? I was disappointed with the smoker (it took too long and the jerky was WAY too tender), and have since used the dehydrator. But I am considering experimenting with a combination of smoker first, and finish with the dehydrator.

The link sausage looks awesome. And to hear you talk about how nervous you were is almost comical, looking at the results. You may have inspired me to try some link sausage myself.

What are you referring to as "pan sausage"; is that like a breakfast sausage? If so, you are going to have to share your recipe. I have always been scared to try venison as breakfast sausage.

And did you use your smoker for the jerky, or a dehydrator, or both? I was disappointed with the smoker (it took too long and the jerky was WAY too tender), and have since used the dehydrator. But I am considering experimenting with a combination of smoker first, and finish with the dehydrator.

The link sausage looks awesome. And to hear you talk about how nervous you were is almost comical, looking at the results. You may have inspired me to try some link sausage myself.
Pan sausage (not stuffed in a casing)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky