• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

1st attempt Sausage

shakyleg

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 8, 2013
First off I will say if not for this forum I don't think I would have known what to do! I have been smoking meat for many years and truly enjoy trying new things.

This time my new "thing" was to process and prepare my own venison into 1. Pan sausage, 2. Link sausage and 3. Jerky.

The pan sausage was the first thing I made. 10lbs of probably the best pan sausage I have ever had. Everyone who tried it couldn't believe I actually did the entire process myself.

The second thing I made was the link sausage. It turned out absolutely amazing. I took a few links to every destination we had for Christmas and again nobody wanted to believe I made it.

The jerky was the final thing I made on Christmas Day and it was just as good as any beef jerky I have ever made if not better.

I couldn't have done it if not for this amazing site. So many hours of researching threads and finding the "do's and don'ts" resulted in absolute perfection. Especially considering it was my first attempt.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Shaky, afternoon...... I feel the same.... This is a great forum with outstanding members.....

Dave

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 2, 2012
From now on you will be really sorry the years you don't get a deer. Your sausage looks great!

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Well, now that you are a member of the forum, you are adding to the great information! I also hate to be the one to tell you, you are now addicted to sausage making.

Disco

shoneyboy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 3, 2010
Well, now that you are a member of the forum, you are adding to the great information! I also hate to be the one to tell you, you are now addicted to sausage making.

Disco
:yeahthat:

reinhard

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 6, 2013
Great job on those links!!!! Great job for the first time around or any time around. Reinhard

shakyleg

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 8, 2013
Thanks everyone. I am already addicted. My only challenge now is to not get fat eating all this good food.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Thanks everyone. I am already addicted. My only challenge now is to not get fat eating all this good food.
Calories from food you make yourself don't count. Have I ever lied to you before?

Disco

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010
Nice Job..... The sausage looks great

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
Great looking sausage!

That stuff that drips off the food while smoking and drips into the pan or to the bottom of the smoker, that's all those calories you are worrying about. Look at all of us, just proves the point.

LOL... Congrats on your sausage.

rrainstar

Joined Dec 30, 2013
Couldn't tell that it's you're first time. It's always obvious when people put time and care into the food they prepare. Wonderful job!

tom ryle

Joined Dec 12, 2013
The first time you work with natural casings it's a bit strange to envision how it all will comes together, but then as you start filling, it just all seems so easy - especially if you get yourself a foot pedal for your grinder.  Nice work!  Looks great! 

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013

The first time you work with natural casings it's a bit strange to envision how it all will comes together, but then as you start filling, it just all seems so easy - especially if you get yourself a foot pedal for your grinder.  Nice work!  Looks great! 
Its better if you don't think about what was in those casing before..... LOL

java

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 30, 2010
great job and many more to come!

now you are going to have a real problem on your hands (so many recipes, so little time) !

start a log now and hang on. congratulations.

ed

bertman

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 27, 2013
What are you referring to as "pan sausage"; is that like a breakfast sausage? If so, you are going to have to share your recipe. I have always been scared to try venison as breakfast sausage.

And did you use your smoker for the jerky, or a dehydrator, or both? I was disappointed with the smoker (it took too long and the jerky was WAY too tender), and have since used the dehydrator. But I am considering experimenting with a combination of smoker first, and finish with the dehydrator.

The link sausage looks awesome. And to hear you talk about how nervous you were is almost comical, looking at the results. You may have inspired me to try some link sausage myself.

papa chops

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 10, 2013

What are you referring to as "pan sausage"; is that like a breakfast sausage? If so, you are going to have to share your recipe. I have always been scared to try venison as breakfast sausage.

And did you use your smoker for the jerky, or a dehydrator, or both? I was disappointed with the smoker (it took too long and the jerky was WAY too tender), and have since used the dehydrator. But I am considering experimenting with a combination of smoker first, and finish with the dehydrator.

The link sausage looks awesome. And to hear you talk about how nervous you were is almost comical, looking at the results. You may have inspired me to try some link sausage myself.
Pan sausage (not stuffed in a casing)

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.