17.5 lb. Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AWH

Original poster
Nov 25, 2020
Hi all. I have read that an 11 or 12 pound turkey is the optimal size for smoking. But I was only able to get a 17.5 pound bird.
I was planning to butterfly (spatchcock) it but then it won't fit on my smoker's grate. So I'll be cutting it in half and using 2 shelves.
My question is regarding cook time, based on 35 min/lb. Do I treat it like a 17.5 lb bird and plan on over 10 hours?
Or treat it like two 8.75 birds and plan on just over 5 hours?

You will treat it like 2 birds. Can't help on the cook time. I go by temp and every cook is different. If you tell us what smoker temp you will be using someone can probably help with a rough estimate on timing

You will treat it like 2 birds. Can't help on the cook time. I go by temp and every cook is different. If you tell us what smoker temp you will be using someone can probably help with a rough estimate on timing
It'll be at 230°. With cherry wood. And baconbutter under the skin.

With a 230 F cook, you will get rubbery skin. You may want to pop it under the broiler after it is done on the smoker.

JC :emoji_cat:
Well it turned out delicious! I decided against the spatchcock method. Instead I broke the back and cut the white meat apart from the dark. I left the legs on the heat for about an hour after the breast hit 165° (around 6 hrs).
Thanks for all the good advice!

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky