10lb shoudler ready to go... smoker broke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jharstad

Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
Hey all,

Long time lurker in need of some advice. I have a 10lb shoulder in my fridge ready for the smoker.... and my MES 30 decided it’s had enough.

So I’m trying to decide my best options:

- cook it in the oven/crock pot but will need to cut in half due to the size. (Maybe cut it ways)
- try out my grill with a pellet tube.

- get a new smoker/grill from a nearby store. Maybe the MES 340g from Sam’s Club. But there seem to be tons of options out there these days, especially in the pellet grill side of things. I mainly want some more space, otherwise the MES30 worked fine. I’m not sure I really want to go abound the 500 dollar mark, but it’s tempting.

The first option allows me time to shop around, but I’ve never tried these ways before and would appreciate any advice on how to make it successful.

Thanks for any inputs

I love my pellet grill but not every body does ,pit boss has been clearenced at some walmarts lately,good luck deciding as there's so many choices now

I've never done a butt on a gas grill so I can't say how it would work out. If you go that route make sure you have enough propane(unless your connected to NG). I would also probably shy away from rushing into a new purchase unless you already have your eye on something. There's allot of different types of smokers available out there to choose from, and I'd hate to see you waste good money on something that you may not be happy with after a couple of uses. As for today's situation go with the crock-pot. It's not smoked, but it still tastes good and doesn't tie up your oven all day.

Chris

Use your grill with a smoke tube! Just make sure the burners are off directly below it (or the coals are piled together on the far side) and the temperature stays below 250°F. It will turn out great.

What's the MES doing ? Nothing / dead or controller lights up no heat ?

Nothing wrong with pork butt roast in the oven @ 325 . Take it to 185 190 and slice it . Salt and pepper for the seasoning . The MES might be a simple fix . I'm with Chris , don't rush into a new one .

Yup low and slow in the oven will work in a pinch or you could freeze and use at later date after you decide on new smoker.

Warren

What's the MES doing ? Nothing / dead or controller lights up no heat ?

Nothing wrong with pork butt roast in the oven @ 325 . Take it to 185 190 and slice it . Salt and pepper for the seasoning . The MES might be a simple fix . I'm with Chris , don't rush into a new one .

It turns on. The protective cover on the controller fell off a while back and the weather eventually got to it. It powers on, just can set the temp or time. RF remote won’t chsnge it either. I was expecting this at some point but didn’t prepare... I can probably just get a new controller, but since I’m looking for some more room anyways, I’ll probably just wait a bit and try some of the other techniques talked about here.

I think I’ll try the grill for a bit to get some smoke on it then finish in the oven. Trial and error is part of the fun

Thanks

Not going to help for a quick fix, but it I was going to drop 5 Benjamin's, I'd get a Smoken-It.
https://www.smokin-it.com/Smokers-s/5.htm

For quick, On the grill for some smoky, then the oven till it falls offa the bone.
Serve in a crock pot so it stays hot.
Or smoke then finish in a crock pot.

I like using crock pots because you can always find an outlet. But ovens and stove burners... not so much.
Edit In: At Parties...

Last edited:
Use your grill with a smoke tube! Just make sure the burners are off directly below it (or the coals

This will work fine if your burners go front to back. If they go side to side it may cause problems.

Chris

I wouldn't make a rash decision and run out and buy something because of that 10# shoulder. pop it in the oven or whatever and take your time deciding what you want and looking for the best buy... good luck..ws

This will work fine if your burners go front to back. If they go side to side it may cause problems.

Chris

My Gasser runs front to back. But that wasn't the problem.
My Char-Broil gasser is way too well ventilated in the back.
So the smoke never had enough dwell time around any meat under the hood.
I even hung a "dam" on the back to try and plug it up.
Gave up and got a MES 30. (After 1 (Yes, One) smoke of Salmon, I began modifying mine.) Now it's a great smoker.

Walmart had some charcoal grills for $50 yesterday. If I had an emergency, I might go that way.
Or a big cardboard box.
But Liquid Smoke and the Oven could save grace under the gun.

It turns on. The protective cover on the controller fell off a while back and the weather eventually got to it. It powers on, just can set the temp or time. RF remote won’t chsnge it either. I was expecting this at some point but didn’t prepare... I can probably just get a new controller, but since I’m looking for some more room anyways, I’ll probably just wait a bit and try some of the other techniques talked about here.

I think I’ll try the grill for a bit to get some smoke on it then finish in the oven. Trial and error is part of the fun

Thanks
When you feel like lookin at it , UN PLUG the smoker and remove the inspection plate on the back . Check to see if the wires are burnt off the connectors .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky