1 st tri tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duckguyjr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 24, 2013
Anna TX
I bought a whole case at SAMs for around 56 dollars. So don't know the weight but I have learned from all of you time/weight is not that important. Rubbed with Suzy Q and extra cracked pepper. On the smoker at 230 till I get 235 IT. Then to rest. Anyone see anything wrong other than my wife has not let me buy a maverick yet

Will post final product when it is time

Only took about 2 hrs to reach temp now in foil foe 35 min. We are not eating till 5 I thought it would take at least 4 hrs to cook any idea in re-heating the TT???

Also, from past learning experience, watch the grain carefully when slicing the TT. The grain changes a couple times on Tri-tip. If ya already know this then disregard, just want it to turn out perfect for ya !

I have it resting now. What about doing the reverse sear to re heat. Looks like I saw heat a grill to 500 then hit about 5 min on each side. And I saw a picture of the grain that someone put colored directions on how to cut got that part. Thanks for the help

Go to "first Tri tip roast" in search bar and post #40 shows a pic of the slicing. Not sure why link is not working. Also IMHO, would not reverse sear to reheat !

Last edited:
You can also go to YouTube and search tvwb Tri tip and there's a good video from Weber on slicing the TT !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky