“BBBB”—Bear’s Buckboard Bacon (Pic Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
“BBBB”—Bear’s Buckboard Bacon (Pic Heavy)

NOTE: The following is how I do this particular Smoke. You can do it this way, or many other ways.
I'm posting this in Step by Step form in case anyone would like to follow it.

So I recently recovered from the Shock of finally seeing a decent price on Pork Butts at one of our regular shopping places.
“Weis” had Pork Butts @ 97¢ a pound, so we got 3 of them. I Smoked one for Pulled Pork, and froze one for another time.
Then I decided to turn the largest (10.2 lbs) of the three into Buckboard Bacon.

I had one problem I discovered the last time I deboned a Pork Butt.
I never used to have a problem deboning a Butt, until after my Botched Open Heart Surgery. Now my hands shake so much, especially the right one, that it’s not safe for anyone to be around me, including myself.
So I called the “Bear Jr”, and he said as long as I had a sharp knife he’ll do it for me.
So I got out my Sharpener, and touched up my favorite Fillet Knife.

Prepping (Day #1):
Bear Jr removed the bone from the 10.2 ounce Pork Butt, and cut it in half for me, to avoid a lot of bloodshed.
Then I cut each half in 2 pieces. Then I Weighed the 4 pieces to be cured.
Then Weigh proper amount of Tender Quick for each piece (1/2 ounce---One TBS per pound).
Rub TQ on first, trying to get it distributed evenly all over the piece of meat it was measured for.
Rub on about 2 tsp of Brown Sugar per pound of meat, and put the piece of meat in the bag.
Note: We fold the top of the bag over, like a pants cuff, so no salt or sugar grains get in the zipper parts.
Any cure that falls off before getting into the bag, I make sure I put in the bag, with the piece of meat it was designated to be with. That will ensure that the proper amount of cure will be with each piece of meat during the curing stage.

Calculating curing time:
The method I use for calculating curing time is simple. I learned it 9 years ago, and it has never failed me. The cure has always gotten to the center of all pieces, and I have never had any that were salty with my TQ.
Measure the thickest spot of all of the pieces of meat you plan to cure.
Figure how many "half inches" there are in that measurement.
Add 2 to that number. That will be the absolute minimum time to cure that piece of meat.
Then I personally like to add 2 or 3 more days to be extra safe (you can't over-cure, but you can under-cure).
Example:
My thickest piece was 2 1/2 inches. There are 5 "Half inches" in 2 1/2".
So that would be 5 Days plus 2 days = 7 days absolute minimum curing time, but I don’t cure anything for less than 8 days.
Then due to the fact that I wanted to smoke the meat on Monday, I added 3 more days to that number.
So I cured these pieces of Pork Butt for 10 days in my Meat fridge, at 37°. (flipping & pressing each day)
Note: I Never Fully cure anything for less than 8 days.

Day #10:
Rinse all the pieces off, and soaked them in cold water for about 20 minutes to remove surface salt.
I cut a slice from the Thickest piece, and checked the color inside to be sure it was cured to the center.
Then I did a Fry-Test to make sure it wasn't too salty. It was perfect.
So I rinsed the pieces all off again, and patted them dry with a lot of paper towels (Mrs Bear says I should buy a paper towel company!!)
Then I sprinkled on the CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder, and put the pieces on the Grill rack, without touching each other.
I put these pieces in my Kitchen Fridge for the night.

Day #11 (Smoking Day---Using MES 40 BT--6 Racks):
6:30 AM———————————-Pre-Heat Smoker to 150˚.
7:00 AM———————————-Fill first row of my AMNS with Apple Dust, and the 2nd & third with Hickory & light one end.
7:30 AM———————————-Put Meat loaded rack on 2nd position of my smoker, with top exhaust vent open fully.
9:00 AM———————————-Wipe probe with alcohol pad & insert into thickest place.
9:30 AM———————————-Internal Temp at 102°——Put Smoking AMNS on bottom rack, on right end. pull dumper 2” & rotate 180°.
11:00 AM———————————Bump heat up to 170°.
1:00 PM————————————IT was 126°.
2:00 PM————————————IT was 135°.
2:30 PM————————————IT was 140°.
3:30 PM————————————IT was 147°.
3:45 PM————————————IT was 149°.
4:00 PM—————-——————-Check each piece, and remove as all were between 147° and 154° internal temp.

Allow to cool to about 100˚, put in big bowl & put in fridge for R & R.
Leave in Fridge over 2 nights for best flavor.
Put in freezer for 3 hours before slicing makes the slicing work much better.
I sliced this batch, and vacuum packed in small amounts, because I only eat a little at a time nowadays, so each pack is enough to go with about 4 or 5 days with my Breakfast Eggs.

I Also posted some Bacon & Eggs (Below) and a couple of Nice BLTs too.

That's all I can think of right now----Enjoy the Views!!

Bear

The one on the Right is Today's Target:
IMG_2746.jpg

10.18 lb Pork Butt @ 97 Cents a Pound:
IMG_2749.jpg

Had to tune up my Fillet knife Quick:
IMG_2750.jpg

Butt Split in half & Bone removed (Bone laying on top):
IMG_2754.jpg

4 Pieces of Butt getting rubbed with proper amount of TQ & Brown Sugar:
IMG_2756.jpg

Bagged & ready for the Fridge for 10 Days @ 37°:
IMG_2799.jpg

Ice Water for 20 minutes to remove Surface Salt.
IMG_2800.jpg

Patting Dry after Curing & Rinsing:
IMG_2801.jpg

Put on Smoking Rack:
IMG_2804.jpg

Apply CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder:
IMG_2805.jpg

One row of Cherry & 2 rows of Hickory, Cherry end lit:
IMG_2806.jpg

The condensation on the inside of my Glass shows why we don't add water to the Water Pan.
There is no Water in my Pan, and there's still too much Humidity inside my MES:
IMG_2807.jpg

Plywood blocks the Sun from hitting the MES Heat Sensor, & confusing the electronics:
IMG_2808.jpg

Near the end of the Smoke, the Condensation is gone:
IMG_2810.jpg

All Finished, with less than 2" of Dust in tray, left to burn:
IMG_2811.jpg

Fresh out of Smoker:
IMG_2813.jpg

In a big bowl, ready for the Fridge to Mellow out for two nights:
IMG_2814.jpg

Slicing Time:
IMG_2817.jpg

All Sliced up. Two bowls of Ends (Front & Back), mostly for Bear Jr:
IMG_2819.jpg

Bear's Breakfast the next morning:
IMG_2822.jpg

Plated:
IMG_2823.jpg

Packed & Ready for Freezer & two front packs for Fridge:
IMG_2825.jpg

Frying some up for Sammies:
IMG_2829.jpg

Loading a couple BLTs with BBBB:
IMG_2830.jpg

Bear's BBBBLTs for Supper:
IMG_2831.jpg

Looks great John . Nice color on those . Makes a great breakfast , and I like the ends in green beans .

I love to see your smokes and Step-By-Steps Looks Fantastic, Can't wait till Butts go on sale again
Gotta make me some, haven't had any for a while. And thanks Buddy, you are the one who got me into Curing

Gary

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
Looking tasty! I haven't seen a good deal on pork butt since last spring :( Shoulder all the time for $.99 but butts have been steady at $1.99

It sure looks like your set with bacon for a while!
It really looks good, nice color!
So how did it taste?
Was it nice & crispy?
Al

Looks really good bear. I need to try making BBB. One of these days.

point for sure
Chris

Looks great John . Nice color on those . Makes a great breakfast , and I like the ends in green beans .

Thank You Rich!!
Yeah---I like the Ends for a lot of things, but I give most of them to Bear Jr---Same thing with the outer trimmings from my Dried Beef.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I love to see your smokes and Step-By-Steps Looks Fantastic, Can't wait till Butts go on sale again
Gotta make me some, haven't had any for a while. And thanks Buddy, you are the one who got me into Curing

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
Appreciate it!!
And for the Like.

Bear

That looks good! I bought a couple boneless butts on sale a while back and froze one. Now I have to thaw it to finally try BB bacon. I've got about 7lb of side bacon in the garage fridge curing right now but they'll make room for some more.

Bear, That looks fantastic!!! I've never made it, how does it compare to regular pork belly bacon?
Pork butt is "on sale" a couple times a year hear for .99 cents.
Thanks
Craig

Bear, That looks fantastic!!! I've never made it, how does it compare to regular pork belly bacon?
Pork butt is "on sale" a couple times a year hear for .99 cents.
Thanks
Craig

Thank You Craig!!
I would say BBB has even more Bacon flavor than Belly Bacon, but I think it's because it's more lean, and the Meat has more flavor than the Fat, when it comes to Bacon.
Give it a Try--It's easy & you'll love it.
This batch was the most "Melt-in-your-mouth" I've ever had. Amazing!!

Bear

Wow that sure looks tasty! I have made some canadian bacon but it's too dry for my taste.
this looks just right! The heck waiting for a sale! Am picking up some meat tomorrow on my
travels and get right on it. Definitely like. Your step by step are so easy to follow. Thank you for
all your help to us beginners.

Got a couple butts in the freezer now. Next out may be for this reason. Looks fantastic...

Good lookin BBB. I like how you cut down the butt so the cure time is shorter.

Thank You Scott.
Cutting it in half is also to avoid having to inject the meat, because anything I cure that is over 3" Thick, I either Inject a cure mix into it, or cut it in half. I prefer to cut it in half when possible. I do it to Eye Rounds for Dried Beef too.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky