“BBBB”—Bear’s Buckboard Bacon (Pic Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Missed this yesterday.

Great step by step as usual.

Looks great

Looks really good bear. I need to try making BBB. One of these days.

point for sure
Chris

Thank You Chris!!
Great Stuff---And at this price, much cheaper than Pork Belly.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Yes sir another fine job by the Bear. Great looking BBB haven't done that one yet most the time Canadian your way.

Warren

Thank You Warren!
You'd love this stuff---It's even better than CB.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

That BBB looks awesome. I'm gonna have to try my hand at bacon soon. How difficult would it be on a charcoal smoker vs an electric?

Thank You Tom!!
It would be OK as long as you could keep your heat where you want it.
For BBB, I like to keep it low enough for Hours so I can put plenty of smoke on it.
Then I like to take it up a little higher so I can finish it with an Internal temp of 145° or a little more, so I can eat it cold or just warm it up a little before eating it.
If your Smoker (Grill) is too hot, it won't have time to get good smoke, before it gets to 145°, plus if it's too hot, you can cook too much fat out.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Sorry I'm late John. Just now saw your post.
The color on that bacon is fantastic!! And I love the idea of all that extra meat, as compared to a belly.
Question for you. You hot smoke yours so you can eat it hot or cold. Is there any reason I couldn't cold smoke it for 10 or 12 hours instead?? Reason being that neither Miss Linda nor I can eat fat unless it's crisped up like fried belly bacon--just can't get it down. If I cold smoked it, then I could fry it longer and crisp up the fat. Otherwise we'd both be trimming all the fat off each slice--that would be a real waste of flavor.
POINT
Gary

Sorry I'm late John. Just now saw your post.
The color on that bacon is fantastic!! And I love the idea of all that extra meat, as compared to a belly.
Question for you. You hot smoke yours so you can eat it hot or cold. Is there any reason I couldn't cold smoke it for 10 or 12 hours instead?? Reason being that neither Miss Linda nor I can eat fat unless it's crisped up like fried belly bacon--just can't get it down. If I cold smoked it, then I could fry it longer and crisp up the fat. Otherwise we'd both be trimming all the fat off each slice--that would be a real waste of flavor.
POINT
Gary

Thank You Gary!!
Sure you can do it just like you do belly, but it's not needed.
The reason I Hot smoke BBB and CB is because they are so much more lean than Belly Bacon.
So I only heat up CB, because there is next to ZERO Fat on CB, and much of my BBB only gets lightly fried, because it has very little Fat, and the parts of the BBB that does have a good amount of Fat on it, I can Fry that longer to crisp up the Fat. Just because I Smoked it to 145° IT, doesn't mean I can't Fry it more Crispy. It just means I have the option of "Melt in my Mouth Lean Bacon" or "Crispy Fatty Bacon", and I choose both depending on which part of the Pork Butt I'm eating.
Hope that makes sense.
Like Al asked me "Was it Crispy?"
Well---NO--It's not Crispy until you Fry it---It's never Crispy right from the Smoker, no matter how you Smoke it!

And Thanks for the Like, Gary.

Bear

Looks delicious John, I need to try BBB. The wife and I usually have BLTs once a month or so. Thanks for the great SBS.

Thank You John!!
This stuff is Great for BLTs. Melts in your mouth & more flavor than Belly Bacon. IMHO
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

That looks good! I bought a couple boneless butts on sale a while back and froze one. Now I have to thaw it to finally try BB bacon. I've got about 7lb of side bacon in the garage fridge curing right now but they'll make room for some more.

Thank You Rob!!
Yup, Belly Bacon & BBB have to learn to share Fridge space!!!

Bear

Wow that sure looks tasty! I have made some canadian bacon but it's too dry for my taste.
this looks just right! The heck waiting for a sale! Am picking up some meat tomorrow on my
travels and get right on it. Definitely like. Your step by step are so easy to follow. Thank you for
all your help to us beginners.

Thank You!!
Glad you like my Step by Steps.
I like this BBB a lot more than CB, because the Fat in the Butt makes it more Moist & the Bacon flavor is more pronounced in the Butt than in a Pork Loin.

Bear

I think you're talking me into trying this one of these days! So, what makes buckboard bacon different than regular bacon?

I think you're talking me into trying this one of these days! So, what makes buckboard bacon different than regular bacon?

I'd have to say Leaner, usually Cheaper, More Flavor, and this one was about the most "Melt-in-my-mouth" Bacon I ever had. Also a lot easier to find for most people than finding a Belly.

Bear

Reactions: nanuk
I'd have to say Leaner, usually Cheaper, More Flavor, and this one was about the most "Melt-in-my-mouth" Bacon I ever had. Also a lot easier to find for most people than finding a Belly.

Bear
Thanks, I've got a couple butts in the freezer and a bunch of Tender Quick.

Bear

up my way, the most expensive butt is still cheaper than the most inexpensive belly!

crazy how that works.

It reminds me of how chicken wings got so expensive!
Back in the 80's you couldn't give them (Or belly) away.
Today, they are the most expensive cuts!

Being able to get a nice product out of the butt, like BBBB, is a great way to enjoy cured pork, AND save some money

Thanks, I've got a couple butts in the freezer and a bunch of Tender Quick.

Great---A little Brown Sugar & you're good to go!!!
PM me if you have any questions, so I don't miss the question.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky