“BBBB”—Bear’s Buckboard Bacon (Pic Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Element is on, say heating to 150F, the MES element does not shut off, keeps heating till I do a “manual shutdown”. First time this happened climbed to 287F till I shut it down. Masterbuilt claims it’s the extension cord. Have had this happen with all my cords so I’m thinking something isn’t quite right with the controller. Hit and miss.

Sounds like a controller problem to me, but You’re asking about this in the wrong place. Not enough of the right people are seeing it, and it’s hijacking my “Step by Step”. I don’t mind a little of that for a good cause, like yours, but you would do better starting a new thread, with the subject line something like “MES Element Won’t Shut Off at set point”, or send a Private Message to tallbm tallbm , and ask him for help. He’s my Goto guy on Electronics.

Bear

Sending Murray a PM :emoji_blush:

Sounds like a controller problem to me, but You’re asking about this in the wrong place. Not enough of the right people are seeing it, and it’s hijacking my “Step by Step”. I don’t mind a little of that for a good cause, like yours, but you would do better starting a new thread, with the subject line something like “MES Element Won’t Shut Off at set point”, or send a Private Message to tallbm tallbm , and ask him for help. He’s my Goto guy on Electronics.

Bear
Your absolutely correct, my apologies. On a side note, your BBB “Step by Step” has been very helpful for me, first batch gone second batch will be sliced tonight.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Your absolutely correct, my apologies. On a side note, your BBB “Step by Step” has been very helpful for me, first batch gone second batch will be sliced tonight.

That’s Great !!
So glad you’re enjoying it.:emoji_ok_hand:

Bear

Hi Bear thanks for the step by step. Two questions, do you take the meat out of fridge early before going into the smoker? And I have a slicer, how thick do you slice it. Thanks.

Hi Bear thanks for the step by step. Two questions, do you take the meat out of fridge early before going into the smoker? And I have a slicer, how thick do you slice it. Thanks.

I usually Pre-heat the MES first, and fill my AMNPS & Light it.
Then I work on keeping the AMNPS smoking for about 20 minutes, and then put that in place in my MES.

As for the Meat, when I had a Meat fridge in the basement, and the ability to do steps, I'd have the meat on the racks in the fridge, and carry them up & into the MES when everything is going good.
When my health problems started, I just carried the hunks out when things were ready, and put them on the racks there.
It doesn't matter either way, because since it's all cured before that, there's no hurry to get it from fridge to smoker.

Slicing is up to you:
I like it a little on the Thick side for Bacon & Eggs, but for BLTs I like it pretty thin, because BBB is usually pretty lean.

Bear

I usually Pre-heat the MES first, and fill my AMNPS & Light it.
Then I work on keeping the AMNPS smoking for about 20 minutes, and then put that in place in my MES.

As for the Meat, when I had a Meat fridge in the basement, and the ability to do steps, I'd have the meat on the racks in the fridge, and carry them up & into the MES when everything is going good.
When my health problems started, I just carried the hunks out when things were ready, and put them on the racks there.
It doesn't matter either way, because since it's all cured before that, there's no hurry to get it from fridge to smoker.

Slicing is up to you:
I like it a little on the Thick side for Bacon & Eggs, but for BLTs I like it pretty thin, because BBB is usually pretty lean.

Bear
Ok, thanks for the reply. I’m smoking in the morning and I wasn’t sure if you let the meat come up to room temp before going in the smoker. Thank you.

Since it's cured, you can if you want, but I never found a reason to not going right from the fridge to the smoker.
However if possible it's good to have it in the Heat for the first hour without smoke.

Bear

Nice to see this thread pop up again. With the price of bellies right now, I think the relatives are going to get BBB for Christmas this year. I can still get butts for $1.49-$1.99 lb.

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice to see this thread pop up again. With the price of bellies right now, I think the relatives are going to get BBB for Christmas this year. I can still get butts for $1.49-$1.99 lb.

Thank You Mike!!
Those are Great prices!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky