Σουβλάκια. . .Souvlakia (Greek Shish Kebab)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A few years ago I posted gyros that I'd made and mentioned the tzatziki sauce. A forum friend "challenged" me to develop a "Texziki" sauce so I did. It was actually simple. Just sub jalapenos for the cucumbers. May sound odd but it was actually very good.

As do I. To me it just wouldn't be the same without the dill.

Robert
Yep, dill definitely adds another dimension to the sauce. I'm glad I updated the recipe.

John

Reactions: Fueling Around
I'm already thinking ahead to making it with Armenian cucumbers. The skin is very soft and isn't removed for fresh eating.
Armenian cucumber is commonly called snake melon, but even lower in "burp factor" than burpless cucumber

A few years ago I posted gyros that I'd made and mentioned the tzatziki sauce. A forum friend "challenged" me to develop a "Texziki" sauce so I did. It was actually simple. Just sub jalapenos for the cucumbers. May sound odd but it was actually very good.
Another taste level. Do you skin the jalapenos before grating? I'm thinking cilantro would make a better garnish than dill with jalapeno

John, this thread is beyond phenomenal my friend! Wow! That is mouthwatering…. Thank you so much for the recipes…. This will be done sooner than later! Appreciate so much ya posting this!

John, this thread is beyond phenomenal my friend! Wow! That is mouthwatering…. Thank you so much for the recipes…. This will be done sooner than later! Appreciate so much ya posting this!
Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ

You are welcome and it has been my pleasure.

I hope you enjoy it,

John

Woke up this morning and found myself on the carousel!

A huge THANK YOU to pc farmer pc farmer and Brian our IT guy . Thanks again guys.

Also thanks for the likes Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ PulledPorkSandwich PulledPorkSandwich normanaj normanaj tx smoker tx smoker .

I received a lot of Likes from a lot of grateful people on this post. Thank you again . . .I hope all of you enjoy it when you finally get around to trying it as much as I do.

I love this place. . .the great unselfish members, and the administrators who make it possible. . .Again, Thank You,

John

Last edited:
Well John, I ran the menu for my friend's dinner by his wife yesterday and got a double thumbs-up. Looks like I may be on the right track. Now I need to find somr sort of easy Greek dessert.

Do you skin the jalapenos before grating?

Nope. Just take out the seeds and stems.

I'm thinking cilantro would make a better garnish than dill with jalapeno

You are correct. This is how I made it but was in a hurry and neglected to mention that aspect. Thank you for bringing it up and covering my oversight.

Robert

Woke up this morning and found myself on the carousel!

A huge THANK YOU to pc farmer pc farmer and Brian our IT guy . Thanks again guys.

Also thanks for the likes Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ PulledPorkSandwich PulledPorkSandwich normanaj normanaj tx smoker tx smoker .

I received a lot of Likes from a lot of grateful people on this post. Thank you again . . .I hope all of you enjoy it when you finally get around to trying it as much as I do.

I love this place. . .the great unselfish members, and the administrators who make it possible. . .Again, Thank You,

John
You deserve it, I got my first ride on it this week...great to be acknowledged by all the fantastic people on this forum.

Looks great John both the tread and dish.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks mouth watering! And like the others have said...Thank you for the great write up and pictures! Makes me glad I have a charcoal kettle and don't have to use one made of stone!
Congrats on the carousel ride...you deserved it!
I think I should become a taste tester at your church! What's this Greek coffee you mentioned?

Ryan

Looks great John both the tread and dish.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you for the kind words Chris and the Like. I admire your cooks as well,

Johnl

Congrats on the carousel ride...you deserved it!
I think I should become a taste tester at your church! What's this Greek coffee you mentioned?

Ryan

Thank you Ryan,

I have been tasting Greek food all my life but some of it made for our Food Festival are recipes brought from Greece by all the Ya Ya's , So I'm always poking around in the church's kitchen when the foods are being prepared. Sometimes months in advance.

I think you would make a great taste tester!

As far as the Greek coffee is concerned, this sight describes it fairly close. If you have any questions please feel free to ask,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokenhandle
tx smoker tx smoker

Greek deserts like most dishes are never short and easy to make.

The easiest deserts and most refreshing are melons (watermelon, honeydew, Cantaloupe) with a good greek bread and Feta Cheese.

I searched and found this. . .Maybe it can help: https://recipefairy.com/greek-desserts/

Another option. . .Check out thread #72

I hope this helps,

John

Last edited:
Looks great! One of my favorites for an easy meal (prepped a day or two before)and great for leftovers. I’d love the tzatkiki recipe, I have a decent one but it could be better 🤔
WaterRat WaterRat

You mentioned that you have a decent tzatkiki recipe. I would be interested in seeing it if you wouldn't mind. Would like to see how ours compare.

Thanks,

John

Well John ( BandCollector BandCollector ) I made this yesterday and it was amazing!! Don't know whether to hijack your thread or start a new one. Seriously my friend, this was THE BEST effort I've ever done with pork. Totally off the charts.

Robert

I'm going to be home, soon, from the winter log haul. This is the recipe I'll be trying out then. The food looks and sounds fantastic.
John, thanks for sharing this incredible meal.
Gary
Thank You Gary,

And you are welcome. I am always happy to share dishes that make people happy.

I have always admired your posts as well. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

John

Well John ( BandCollector BandCollector ) I made this yesterday and it was amazing!! Don't know whether to hijack your thread or start a new one. Seriously my friend, this was THE BEST effort I've ever done with pork. Totally off the charts.

Robert
You are most welcome Robert and I am thrilled it all came together for you.

It makes my heart feel good when others can enjoy wonderful dishes.

Yippy!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky