Σουβλάκια. . .Souvlakia (Greek Shish Kebab)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Over the years I have periodically been asked questions about the preparation of souvlakia. So--since I was having them for dinner this evening--I decided to post the process.

First, a little history: In Greek culture, the practice of cooking food on spits or skewers dates back to the Bronze Age. Souvlakia were a popular delicacy in Santorini back in 2000 BC. Excavations of the area have unearthed stone cooking supports that had indentations that were likely used for holding skewers and lines of holes in the base that allowed the coals to be supplied with air. Fortunately today we have the luxury of charcoal grills.

Traditionally souvlakia are prepared with lamb, but lamb is so expensive these days that I opted to make mine with pork and chicken instead. (Souvlakia can be made with lamb, beef, pork, chicken, or even wild game.)

Ingredients:

• 2 lbs of lamb (or meat of your choice) cut into chunks
  • 1/3 C olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 red onions, roughly chopped
  • 1 tsp dried Greek oregano
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • pita bread
  • feta chese
  • tzatziki sauce
Prepare the marinade for the kebabs in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, herbs, and season with the salt and pepper.
Combine the marinade with the meat chunks, cover the bowls with plastic wrap , and let the meat chunks marinate over night.

IMG_1305.jpg

Lift the chunks of meat from the marinade and thread the pieces onto the skewers. (If you are using wooden skewers soak them in water for 20 minutes to prevent them from burning because these usually get hellishly hot!)

IMG_1310.jpg

Grill the kebabs making sure to turn them every five minutes or so. Since I was using pork and chicken, I cooked the kebabs until the internal temperatures were 165˚ for the chicken and 150˚ for the pork.
Looking good!
You can also use the hot coals to toast the pita bread until nicely colored on both sides.

IMG_1312.jpg

Place the meat chunks onto the warmed pita bread. Cover the meat with shredded lettuce, onions, tomato chunks, feta cheese, and tzatziki sauce.
(Store bought tzatziki sauce works fine, but if anyone needs the recipe for a homemade version, I will be happy to send it to you.)

Souvlaki-Σ.jpg

Fold the pita bread like a taco and have at it!

Greek-Souvlaki-Pita-square.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my presentation as much as I enjoyed my souvlakia!

Thanks for viewing,

John

Holy Mother and Moses! That is incredible! Book marked and on the list for sure! What a great thread and beautiful pics! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks John for another Greek meal to make, big like and bookmark!

Holy Mother and Moses! That is incredible! Book marked and on the list for sure! What a great thread and beautiful pics! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks guys. . .Always happy to share.

Enjoy,

John

Looks great! One of my favorites for an easy meal (prepped a day or two before)and great for leftovers. I’d love the tzatkiki recipe, I have a decent one but it could be better 🤔

Looks great! One of my favorites for an easy meal (prepped a day or two before)and great for leftovers. I’d love the tzatkiki recipe, I have a decent one but it could be better 🤔
Here you go,

Tzatziki Sauce
  • 1 cucumber
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
  • 18 oz of strained yogurt
  • 2 Tbsps red wine vinegar
  • a pinch of salt
  • a pinch of dried dill*
  1. Pour in a blender the olive oil and minced garlic. Blend until combined.
  2. Remove the skin and the seeds of the cucumber and grate it into a large bowl.
  3. Season with salt and pepper and leave aside for 10 minutes.
  4. Wrap the grated cucumber in a towel and squeeze in order to get rid of the excess water.
  5. In a bowl, add the cucumber, the blended garlic and oil, the yogurt, the red wine, salt , and blend until the ingredients are combined.
  6. Store the tzatziki sauce in the refrigerator and always serve cold.
* Dried dill can sometimes overpower a recipe if not added gradually. Taste to your liking as you go to avoid overpowering the tzatziki sauce.

Enjoy,

John

Last edited:
Beautiful John! As you know I love Greek good. Crazy enough I just told my wife over the weekend I was craving souvlaki. Now I’m REALLY craving it!

Beautiful John! As you know I love Greek good. Crazy enough I just told my wife over the weekend I was craving souvlaki. Now I’m REALLY craving it!
I surely do know that you like Greek food. . .I have admired some of your posts.

Thanks for the Like my friend,

John

Reactions: jcam222
John, this looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing this... I really appreciate the extra effort to include a little history along with the recipe.. I enjoy that as much I I do the food.. Gives us all a since of appreciation for all the food diversity we have in America.. I just love that!
If you were to use lamb for this what cut would you use?? I have a leg of lamb in the freezer I need to use and also a rolled loin.. But our local meijer usually has shoulder..
Im putting this on my list for a posible Easter menus.

John, this looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing this... I really appreciate the extra effort to include a little history along with the recipe.. I enjoy that as much I I do the food.. Gives us all a since of appreciation for all the food diversity we have in America.. I just love that!
If you were to use lamb for this what cut would you use?? I have a leg of lamb in the freezer I need to use and also a rolled loin.. But our local meijer usually has shoulder..
Im putting this on my list for a posible Easter menus.
Travis,

Thanks for the kind words and the Like.

Lamb leg or shoulder are usually recommended, but any cut of lamb would work as well.

Enjoy,

John

Reactions: Sowsage
Yup, that’s fine dining right there. Looks so delicious. I like Greek on these lines. The gyros too. Nice work for sure.

If you are what you eat (or dream of eating) then I’m going to be Greek real soon. I keep bookmarking everything you do BandCollector BandCollector . This just looks incredible.
LOL!

I will gladly christen you as an honorary Greek. . .Anyone who shows this much interest in Greek food deserves the honor!

Thanks for the kind words.

John

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Looks wonderful John, Great job on the souvlaki,
Beautiful final shot

We always use pork or chicken. I like to give them a squirt
of lemon or lime juice on the last turn on the grill just before the wrapping

David

I'm pretty new to this forum and I have to admit, That is one of the best, if not, THEE BEST history, presentation and pictures of someone's craft on here that I have come across. This is above and beyond mopping some sauce on a slab of meat and tossing it on a grill like I do. Your presentation and explanation of the food is truly a professional skill and art form. Well done!! P.S. Thanks for tossing in that Tzatziki Sauce recipe. Looking forward to making this whole thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky