Favorite Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A good Swiss is always nice.
And I mean one that smells like a dirty sock, the smelly Swiss tastes the best, as do most cheeses.

Bleu or Gorganzola, mmmmmm moldy!
Pepperjack, regular or spicier with habenero, ghost or reaper.
An extra sharp Cheddar is a pleaser.
Asiago
Gouda
Gruyere
Provolone
Havarti

Last edited:
On a burger? American, cheddar, provolone, Monterey Jack, and if I have room left after those 4 ;) a little muzadel!

On a sandwich, depends. I much prefer melted provolone and motz, so hot sandwiches provolone/muzadel is great, otherwise cheddar, Jack, or American.

The good American, not wrapped process cheese food. Unwrapped 'deluxe' processed cheese.

Reactions: JLeonard
Burgers = Cheddar
Any Beef sammy = Cheddar
Griled cheese = Cheddar and American combo
Grilled ham sammy = Swiss
Pork or ham sammy = Swiss
Rueban = Swiss
Peanut butter sammy = American

Chris

Agree totally with this list! But, What kind of MANIAC put cheese on a peanut butter sammich!?!?!?

Jim

I've been doing it since I was about 11 or so years old - now 63. It started out as me being hungry one afternoon and there wasn't any bread in the house. So I took a couple slices of American cheese from the fridge and spread some peanut butter on them. I really like it and have been doing it ever since. Sometimes with the bread and sometimes without the bread. I get a lot of funny looks at work when I sit down at the breakroom table and start eating one of my peanut butter and American cheese sammies.

Chris

Burger: 3 big slices of Land O'Lakes Extra Melt AKA gov't cheese (american).

Yeah swiss on most else and sandwiches. Have not seen it in years and always look for it but there was this lacey swiss with tons of small holes that was my fave. Cannot find it.

Burger: 3 big slices of Land O'Lakes Extra Melt AKA gov't cheese (american).

Yeah swiss on most else and sandwiches. Have not seen it in years and always look for it but there was this lacey swiss with tons of small holes that was my fave. Cannot find it.
We buy the Great Value baby Swiss, like you we loved the Lacey Swiss. So this is about as close as we could find.
Al

Reactions: zwiller
My favorites:

Sharp cheddar - Alone or on most things ( I now seek out white)
Colby Jack - Alone
Parmigiano Reggiano - Pizza or pasta
Mozzarella - Pizza or pasta
Queso Blanco - Mexican dishes or to dip for french fries
Feta with herbs - salads
String Cheese - Alone for a snack
Cream Cheese - for recipes
Pepper Jack - Alone or on a burger or sandwich
Swiss - If I am in the mood for it.
Provolone - sandwiches
American - Grilled cheese sandwich

We buy the Great Value baby Swiss, like you we loved the Lacey Swiss. So this is about as close as we could find.
Al
DUDE, thanks! Oh man that hits the spot! Did they stop making Lacey? Just like disappeared here. We live like 1.5hrs from an amish swiss area and they have a few that are close but not good enough for the trek. There are like a dozen places and we always hit a few in hopes of scoring. Does not help they are not close to one another... ALL make STELLAR baby swiss at least. Thanks again.

https://www.ohiosamishcountry.com/articles/visit-the-little-switzerland-of-ohio

Boars head white cheddar horseradish on a good beef bologna sandwich .
I buy " Swiss and Rye " made by Hoffman . It's a processed cheese .

Had grilled cheese last night . Colby and " mouse cheese " ( Swiss ) . Since we went from AC to the furnace in one day , it was soup night .

lacey swiss with tons of small holes that was my fave. Cannot find it.
Troyer makes it . So does Boars head . I buy the Troyer's lacey Swiss at the market around the corner . Private owned shop .
You can also look for Lorraine Swiss . Same type , different name .

Reactions: zwiller
For me it really depends on the rest of the burger composition. For a classic cheese burger with tomato lettuce etc or big Mac style I love Sharp American or Hoffman's Super Sharp which is close to a sharp American not sharp cheddar. For more gourmet burgers I'm looking at extra sharp white cheddar for things with stronger sauces or Something like Muenster for milder flavors. I also love a good Dill Havarti. Blue cheese I'll add with cheddar at times and occasionally I'll get a taste for Swiss.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky