OMG Its cold!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
According to everything I've read it freezes at +11F. Most tanks up here have a heater cool in the bottom. Problem we have had is the liquid is splashing a sensor then freezing, tripping the sensor and putting an almost new 2023 truck with 16K on it into limp mode. 5mph and no more. Hopefully I see it back before it warms up next week or I'll be annoyed.
Trucks need to fast idle after temps get near the DEF freeze point to keep the heat coil active as well as the fuel heater.
When I had my diesels I started pluging them up when it got to 40°. Instant heat in mornings is nice.
40°F is when the friction chart makes a big increase. I always started using the block heater when temps approached 40°F.
Most diesels are delivered with a block heater, but often have to purchase the cord.
Be sure to unplug and let the block heater coil cool a minute or two before starting the vehicle.

Us North Dakotans are sure happy to share some of the cold temps with the rest of the country. It’s -5 now but usually -30 so very mild. Nicest winter I’ve ever experienced. Hopefully it doesn’t bring the riff raff in 😀

Reactions: JLeonard
Us North Dakotans are sure happy to share some of the cold temps with the rest of the country. It’s -5 now but usually -30 so very mild. Nicest winter I’ve ever experienced. Hopefully it doesn’t bring the riff raff in 😀
No worries about that. I'm staying right here in north GA with unusual lows at 14. Damn it's cold!

Reactions: Nodak21
Only got down to 0 last night and has made it up to 29 last time I cked, got more coming in tonight but im retired so am the taxi for the family going to Drs appointments

Hovering just above freezing here the past 2 days. Not warm enough to melt the inch or more of ice on the roads. I was slip-sliding in my '16 Challenger yesterday going to work. This morning was even worse; I went outside to see how bad it was, and could barely walk upright. Working online from home today, but I don't like doing that. Just got a small snow flurry here. :emoji_persevere:

Trucks need to fast idle after temps get near the DEF freeze point to keep the heat coil active as well as the fuel heater.

40°F is when the friction chart makes a big increase. I always started using the block heater when temps approached 40°F.
Most diesels are delivered with a block heater, but often have to purchase the cord.
Be sure to unplug and let the block heater coil cool a minute or two before starting the vehicle.
Really why?
I did it all the time with my chevrolet and my ram. Heck who knows how many times I fergot to unplug it before leaving. LoL

Hovering just above freezing here the past 2 days. Not warm enough to melt the inch or more of ice on the roads. I was slip-sliding in my '16 Challenger yesterday going to work. This morning was even worse; I went outside to see how bad it was, and could barely walk upright. Working online from home today, but I don't like doing that. Just got a small snow flurry here. :emoji_persevere:
Don't miss those days Mike. The worst snowflakes are the idiots behind the steering wheels.
Fond memories of driving to work and dodging abandoned vehicles (including KC buses) on the West Seattle bridge (concrete rainbow). I drove a '76 Chevy van in those days with 600# of ballast secured in the rear. Add the chains I could sail through a lot of snow and ice.

Warmed up to 20 here in dfw (!), wife wanted chili. Made some scratch Red, finished on the smoker.
IMG_0235.jpeg
IMG_0236.jpeg
Had Chili Mac the next day.

Finally breaking the everyday high in the low 20's . Of course we get rewarded with sleet and freezing rain from midnight to noon tomorrow for it!
Some ice fishermen had to be rescued off of Erie today! Local lakes and ponds should be good for awhile though!

We had the ice / freezing rain too . Warmed up after about 5 hours of rain , but now it's all re freezing . It's super slick out there .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky