OMG Its cold!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If the thermostat is set up properly the electric heat kicks in at a 3 degree drop, my unit is 3 years old so is fairly new, no problem keeping up but due to wall insulation or lack of it runs often, last electric bill was $135, next will probably be $30 more

it will cost more to run 110v heaters than the 220 heat strips, but you have to heat the whole house not certain areas so it may end up costing more,

Yep costs about a billion dollars to switch over to emergency heat lol we will suffer at 66
Well, if you think 66 is cold, just go outside and sit down for 10 minutes. I bet 66 seems real nice when you get back inside lol! ( Actual dialogue from a "conversation" with the warden about putting on a hoodie instead of cranking up the furnace!)

Heat wave here looking at some of your alls temps we are over 3” at the moment
The south is getting it hard. My wife is at her mom’s in MS. 4” and counting. Very cold for them - like you.

temps are still dropping here…now -10. Tomorrow should be better, after 3 days below zero, might get to 30! It will feel like tank top weather!

I keep mine at 65 in the winter . Kids get cold , so I bought a couple Govee smart heaters for their bedrooms . Those things work great , and can be controlled from a phone or assistant . Nice as a backup too .
Also works as a fan ( no heat ) in the summer .

Just ordered 2 of them thanks!
And BOOM, Rich has joined the enabler club! 😆

If it make you guys feel any better it was 70*F here in south Louisiana yesterday out ahead of that system. High of 36*F here on Tuesday though.....low of 17*F. That is really cold for here!
FB_IMG_1705360905049.jpg

We keep the t stat at 69 usually, it's at 70 now when it's been so cold and windy... 2 story on top of hill catches alot of wind. 24' X 40' garage kept at 50, and 40' X 60' shop kept at 50 degrees. Uses plenty of propane but car and trucks and tractor start easily and aren't full of ice and snow.
Whoevers tractor is still sitting on road since Saturday!

Ryan

i live in the north side of a southern state,but dang this cold snap is popping here too! There’s like a 90% chance of no work tomorrow due to travel restrictions. Tonya thought we needed to have a couple of beers to celebrate. She apologized about forgetting ice. I was like babe we don’t even need a cooler, just set the box by the door and bitch about it being cold every time you go out. Yes we are hillbillies we keep beer on the porch. The congregation wouldn’t approve of us sacrificing fridge space for alcohol😂😂

I'm in central Florida and it got warm enough today to require the A/C. Temps not bad but after 4 days of rain needed to drop the humidity.
Whoevers tractor is still sitting on road since Saturday!

Ryan
If it gelled especially with summer fuel even multiple bottles of thaw wont melt the soybean juice. Waiting on the 30's is my guess.
Aren't you a good neighbor and recognize the equipment? We would have towed it into the shop and thawed it out for them.

I'm in central Florida and it got warm enough today to require the A/C. Temps not bad but after 4 days of rain needed to drop the humidity.

If it gelled especially with summer fuel even multiple bottles of thaw wont melt the soybean juice. Waiting on the 30's is my guess.
Aren't you a good neighbor and recognize the equipment? We would have towed it into the shop and thawed it out for them.
Don't recognize the tractor, nor does my neighbor to the south that farms way more ground and knows way more people than I. Plus my combine and 8 row cornhead with straight #2 fuel is in the shop. I played tetris getting everything into my shop that's currently there. Otherwise would gladly help. Still will but not without knowing who it is... won't touch someone else's property... it's an MX 275, duals all 4 tires, not a cheap tractor.

Ryan

We get below zero here and in Excavation equipment must move to make money. You would be surprised what a piece of metal dryer vent tube attached to your tail pipe on the pickup then stuffed up under the frozen equipment engine enclosure and a little time will do. A thermos of coffee later, pickup idling usually does the thaw trick. Most all of our pickups are diesel and exhaust temps are high.

Is it really that cold if your not cutting your diesel fuel with gasoline...........
I'm running a 50 / 50 blend with additive besides... I've had tractors gell up before and it's not fun ! Some guys will run straight # 1. When you have livestock the machines need to run to take care of them... besides, having to change fuel filters sucks when you can't feel your fingers! I've either turned into a weenie or have gotten wiser... I know which story I'm going with! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Pssh next thing you’ll be b*tchin that it snowed too. 😂.
As far as diesel, neither of my companies BRAND NEW trucks will run right now. Even with additive it’s semi gelled and the DEF tank is froze up.
Dang near threw a hip doing happy dance to hit 0 at noon! Lol

Ryan

Reactions: bigfurmn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky