Chorizo My Way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
I love sausage. I build my sausage to be balanced, nothing punching the face flavor wise unless you want that. I like some spices a bit high but only if you like that flavor. Otherwise I like everything playing in the pool nice. Just great balance of flavors.
This brings me to chorizo. I’m of Spanish descent and love all the flavors, but we aren’t from Mexico, like I said rather from Spain as settlers here in North America back in the 1600’s, the four corners area. Our food is traditionally different, and so are our tastes. Some things cross over and some do not. On to chorizo. All of the chorizo recipes in North America have high acid content, mostly vinegar or lime juice in the mix, but this acid breaks the natural bond of protein extraction in sausage and makes it crumbly. Not great for links or for texture.

So I’ve been working on a good chorizo style sausage that is a solid flavor platform but not so acidic. We can add the acid at the plate like lime or vinegar, no need to destroy the texture of the sausage in manufacturing.

I’m close to something delicious. It’s a mix of Spanish and Portuguese style but mostly keeping with a fresh Spanish sausage. To make this you will not use dried Chile powder, but a nice Chile paste from reconstituted red Chile pods. Here is a process for that Chile
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pulled-pork-tamale-pies.309262/

Here are some pics.

IMG_1858.jpeg

IMG_1861.jpeg

Wow ... great color!

My fave Mexican "street food" dive-restaurant makes their own Chorizo. Grandma's recipe - and she checks in on them to make sure they are doing it right. Needless to say, that recipe is not being shared so I am looking forward to yours!

I will add that if you try this recipe, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, you need to add the dry ingredients to the meat, mix for protein extraction first, then add the Chile paste and wine to incorporate. Otherwise you will have a poor bind if you stuff them.

Reactions: DougE
Here is the recipe so far. It’s delicious as is but I may play with the Chile paste just a tad.

1 Kg ground pork
Red Chile paste) 100g
Salt) 1.5%
Minced garlic) 7g
Dried onion) 3g
Black pepper) 5g
Cumin) 2g
Coriander) 2g
Dry red wine) 40ml
I'm really liking this recipe. I love all things chorizo, but the bride isn't a fan of the "tang" that comes with the style I was taught to make. She may like this one.

Let me know when the recipe for me to blatantly plagiarize is ready. 🤠

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I'm really liking this recipe. I love all things chorizo, but the bride isn't a fan of the "tang" that comes with the style I was taught to make. She may like this one.

Let me know when the recipe for me to blatantly plagiarize is ready. 🤠
This recipe is good to go. Just add a squeeze of lime juice to your plate. I like the acid but it just kills the sausage texture for stuffing. Lime or vinegar can always be added on the plate for that tang.

Reactions: crankybuzzard
Here is the recipe so far. It’s delicious as is but I may play with the Chile paste just a tad.

1 Kg ground pork
Red Chile paste) 100g
Salt) 1.5%
Minced garlic) 7g
Dried onion) 3g
Black pepper) 5g
Cumin) 2g
Coriander) 2g
Dry red wine) 40ml
Red chili paste? Easily available? Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky